News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

I know they were openly interested in hosting the terminus for the gondola if it goes ahead. Working in ATB, I wouldn't mind a new food court.

Talked to my friend, turns out they are looking to support or partner with the city on some kind of connection from the funicular to MacDonald Drive. Pleased to hear that, it's a super important connection where people are already crossing dangerously.

Also heard the same about being a potential gondola terminus.

Same here @archited. As someone that doesn't frequent the space, I'm thinking it is their prerogative to do what they want with the space. Sounds like it isn't very functional right now, which is a problem in a customer service driven business.

EDC Formal tentatively scheduled for Mar. 5:

E. UPCOMING APPLICATIONS, CONFLICTS AND REGRETS (March 5, 2019)
City Square Tower (Development Permit) - Formal - Mark Tkachuk - Gardner Architecture

C.2. City Square Tower (Development Permit)
Ben Gardner - Gardner Architecture Inc.

Note the deliberation for this project took place immediately following the formal
presentation to ensure quorum.

MOVED: M. Figueira

Motion of support.

SECONDED: J. Mills
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: R. Labonte, W. Sims, C. Holmes, B. Nolan, S. Kaznacheeva, J.
Mills

Or lord no please don't let them go ahead with this

Whew.

Because there has been so much in social media lately about the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, and there seems to be a disconnect between the hotel's explanations and the computer renderings of the proposed look, I contacted the manager of the hotel. We had a long chat and he indicated that the computer program for the renderings were a simplification and did not include all of the historic detail that will most definitely be preserved.

For example, the historic glassed-in balcony overlooking Confederation Lounge will remain, although it appears to have disappeared in the rendering. (I personally think it was a mistake to post those renderings because they lack important historic details and therefore are not representative of reality). Mr. Turta explained that the only changes will be to furniture, carpet and lighting, and those will be carefully reviewed to reflect the history of the hotel.

Back