News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Rossdale

I'd love to see east of the river dismantled and lands opened up for recreation and housing.

I'd love to see east of the river dismantled and lands opened up for recreation and housing.
Are we not at the point there housing next to a river is recognized as a liability that should be avoided?

Thats a genuine question as often, in places all over the world, housing next to rivers is often precarious.

The only way I could ever support housing of people down on the flats is if we treat it and engineer it as the flood plain it is.

Depends where and how, but that side of the river is pretty high and not prone to flooding.

Depends where and how, but that side of the river is pretty high and not prone to flooding.
I thought a flood was one of the direct reasons why what was once located in the flats was moved up the hill.

Off to find flood plain maps.

Interesting that the existing residential development is basically the area that will flood while the under developed portion has been left untouched.

There is clearly a lot of sewer and storm water work still left to do in this area in order to allow serious development (as per my understanding of the report)

IMG_5738.png
IMG_5737.png

Rossdale seems to be relatively safe from flooding, as @IanO says the bank is a bit higher than say Riverdale or Cloverdale. But it's also not immune, it flooded a few times in 1917, 1986 and maybe some other times. Seems like a 1 in 50-100 year flood would result in significant damage to Rossdale. The river and its tributaries are also dammed flooding could be mitigated in that way. Imo it would be good to be cautious about development in the low lying river banks, but shouldn't be seen as an absolute non-starter.

Would someone be able to provide myself with to quit a quick TL;DR (too long, didn't read) explanation as to what is going on with the Rossdale plant? Are there plans to activate it and turn it into some event centre or gathering space?

Would someone be able to provide myself with to quit a quick TL;DR (too long, didn't read) explanation as to what is going on with the Rossdale plant? Are there plans to activate it and turn it into some event centre or gathering space?
Its a Provincialy protected asset that has required emergency stabilization actions and roof work.

Other than the occasional tour of the space, there it sits. There are high level plans and lots of ideas…

The reality is this land has HUGE significance to indigenous peoples from all over Alberta as it has been a gathering site for thousands of years. Moving forward with anything on this site will be a lot of work.

Its a Provincialy protected asset that has required emergency stabilization actions and roof work.

Other than the occasional tour of the space, there it sits. There are high level plans and lots of ideas…

The reality is this land has HUGE significance to indigenous peoples from all over Alberta as it has been a gathering site for thousands of years. Moving forward with anything on this site will be a lot of work.
Thanks for that. The potential for this building and site in general is a lot bigger than a lot of people imagine. Hope something takes place here soon enough.

Thanks for that. The potential for this building and site in general is a lot bigger than a lot of people imagine. Hope something takes place here soon enough.
My hope is that Municipal and public wants can align with the goals of reconciliation and thusly be supported by our indigenous people.

IMO the reluctance of moving forward with anything (infrastructure aside) is this social/historical component.

There are plans to activate it, administration is currently engaging with Indigenous nations about future plans. They want to begin design work on a few projects, including the power plant, next year. Here's an admin update from June 2023; the next one is scheduled for Q1 2024:

Indigenous Memorandum of Understanding - Rossdale - Update

My hope is that Municipal and public wants can align with the goals of reconciliation and thusly be supported by our indigenous people.

IMO the reluctance of moving forward with anything (infrastructure aside) is this social/historical component.
You're not wrong, but they are moving ahead still - just being more respectful than in the past (I.e., when EPCOR developed on Indigenous and settler burial grounds while denying the presence of human remains... in the early 2000s at that). See my post above for details :)

Could be a great place for an outdoor "museum" of indigenous history. With like art work and information booths in the park or a garden of native foliage

The City is currently working on concept plans and some technical studies (on top of engagement with Indigenous communities). The technical studies will guide what work is prioritized. There's a lot that has to happen to bring it up to code and make the building safe in the first place, never mind being able to program the space. The major pinch point will be funding since it will not be cheap to do what is needed (think tens to hundreds of millions).

The City is currently working on concept plans and some technical studies (on top of engagement with Indigenous communities). The technical studies will guide what work is prioritized. There's a lot that has to happen to bring it up to code and make the building safe in the first place, never mind being able to program the space. The major pinch point will be funding since it will not be cheap to do what is needed (think tens to hundreds of millions).
so 2-3 Alberta Pension Plan engagement campaigns.

Back