News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Rossdale

The 'paving window' is reasonably well known in Edmonton and while it occasionally gets extended, this seems odd to be at that stage given the time of year. It looks like they are hoping to get the curb scope pounded out, but that's disappointing to not have things paved and open until May or June now.

Personally I think most of it will be paved and opened by next month. Apart from the last stretch to be paved, they still need to install lighting and traffic signs/signals.

Last edited:
I was always told that you need (at the very minimum) 5C ambient and better to have 7-10C along with the ground temp to be a consistent temp (not frozen) such that it can receive the asphalt in a consistent manner or risk deformation, cracking and inconsistent results.

They have but a few days for a window, but it is unlikely to make it.

The fact they weren't working on Sunday despite the very favorable weather and no paving equipment on-site yet tells me this is a next spring job...

I was always told that you need (at the very minimum) 5C ambient and better to have 7-10C along with the ground temp to be a consistent temp (not frozen) such that it can receive the asphalt in a consistent manner or risk deformation, cracking and inconsistent results.

They have but a few days for a window, but it is unlikely to make it.

The fact they weren't working on Sunday despite the very favorable weather and no paving equipment on-site yet tells me this is a next spring job...

You were saying?

20231022_095320.jpg

20231022_095325.jpg

20231022_095331.jpg

Rossdale Road just needs lighting and traffic signs, otherwise I think this should be completed by Oct 31.

Just need a MUP along this route although maybe that could wait until next spring.

20231022_095407.jpg

Like many things that would actually improve the city or an area a lot, its not a priority. The city is currently run by a fairly mediocre group without either much vision or competence.

Edmonton lacks a large city centre, permanent market type building. The closest thing is the Strathcona Farmers Market, but it is... a farmers market, which is a different type of thing. I'm thinking like the St Lawrence Market, where you have a central market building with permanent, or semi-permanent retail establishments.

I was on a layover in San Francisco on my way to Singapore, and there is a market at the Embarcadero that is a great example of this. Tons of high quality interesting local businesses use these places and they're very popular. I wonder if the old power plant wouldn't be the perfect location for something like this.
embarcadero.jpg

this is the one in San Fran

Also the part of Rossdale around the power plant is just begging to become Edmonton's answer to the Forks or Granville Island and I hope to see it start becoming that.

Back