News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Urban National Park Option for the River Valley

Would you support the River Valley becoming an Urban National Park?

• Total voters
It is a go to strategy for certain provincial politicians to rile up the base, usually to take away attention from provincial problems or issues.

However, I think constitutionally if the Feds want to create a national park, that beats provincial powers. So, I wonder if all this will do will freeze the city out of the process, which would not be good.

Love this designation. It's a long time coming. Now how will Danni respond.

1711165991390.png

Rebecca Schulz is Alberta's Minister of Environment and Protected Areas, plus she is the Alberta UCP MLA for Calgary-Shaw.
I'm somewhat surprised she didn't insist on the Bow River (running thru Calgary) being designated a Canadian Heritage River first.

Attachments

• 1711165801492.png
    1711165801492.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
View attachment 550436

Rebecca Schulz is Alberta's Minister of Environment and Protected Areas, plus she is the Alberta UCP MLA for Calgary-Shaw.
I'm somewhat surprised she didn't insist on the Bow River (running thru Calgary) being designated a Canadian Heritage River first.
I believe the North Sask is still designated a national transportation route. It was used extensively by the Fur trade and then river boats were used. First Nations also used it as a major transportation route.

The river and the heritage designation extends way beyond the boundaries of the city. Some of the leading proponents for heritage designation were from smaller communities outside the GEA.

There is potential for tourism development and preservation from this designation.

Back