News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The Merc Annex | 6s | Autograph | Hodgson Schilf Evans Architects Inc.

If you a look at how they illustrate the exterior, in particular the base of each floor, that appears like it will be concrete is my guest.
The ground floor will in all likelihood be concrete as it is commercial but the residential portion above could be wood frame. Does anyone know?

Just a guess, but I'd imagine all concrete as is the Mercury Block across the street.
Mind you the Mercury Block is much larger at 163 units as apposed to the Annex at 65, so my second guess is a wood tower portion to reduce overall cost.
I really love what Edgar is creating here, beautiful design.

Just to get it out of the way - this looks very nice and, materials dependent, will fit and add into the existing fabric really nicely.

But it's interesting that this and Mercury across the street, along with the Oliver Exchange a couple blocks east is starting to organically turn 102 Ave into a quaint, neighbourhood focused centre with the new shops and amenities, alongside well-done public investments like Paul Kane and the Oliverbahn. Meanwhile, a block over, the obvious main street for Oliver continues to flounder. Jasper technically has more amenities just due to the volume of CRUs, but it's unpleasant (I know this will change in the near future in part with the new streetscape) and doesn't have the same "magic" or "allure." Beljan really created something special with the Oliver Exchange and the City did a very good job with Paul Kane. Hopefully Hodgson Schilf continues that path for 102 in West Oliver...
Don't forget Hodgson Schilf Evans were behind the design of Oliver Exchange and OEX2 as well. Hats off to the architecture firm here too, not just the developers.

Back