News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Royal Alberta Museum design competition in retrospect

Looking back, who would you have chosen today?

• Diamond & Schmitt

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • O’Rourke/IBI/Meier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dialog

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Moriyama & Teshima, ATB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking back, who would you have chosen today?

Moriyama & Teshima Architects of Ontario and Architecture/Arndt Tkalcic Bengert of Alberta, Maki & Associates of Japan (Architecture), Museum Planning Partners of Ontario
PCL_RAM_2.jpg

Laing O’Rourke of the United Kingdom, IBI Group Architects Engineers of Alberta, Richard Meier & Partners of New York, Solomon & Bauer (Museum Planners) of Watertown, MA

GRAMC_RAM_2.jpg

Diamond & Schmitt Architects of Ontario, HIP Architects of Edmonton, Haley Sharpe Design (Museum Planner) of the United Kingdom
ELLISDON_RAM_1.jpg

Dialog of Alberta, Lundholm Associates Architects of Ontario (Museum Planner)
LEDCOR_RAM_2.jpg

Diamond & Schmidtt
Laing O’Rourke
Moriyama & Tashima
Dialogue

This is such an important corner - a gateway to downtown from two directions, a gateway to Chinatown and a gateway to the Quarters - the relationship to 97th street should never have been surrendered to a loading dock and the entire south elevation should never have been impermeable and cut off from one of downtown’s only two east/west arterials. This is assuming they all have the capacity to meet programming needs inside their shells as well or better than what we got. I know and appreciate that architecture can - and should - be subjective and personal but for me we got the poorest option and not the best that was offered.

Last edited:
Diamond & Schmitt for me.

As @kcantor said, this is such an important intersection for the connection of downtown. The Diamond & Schmitt proposal offers so much more interaction with the building from the exterior than the DIALOG one. I Find the new museum as it is cold and uninviting from the outside.

I like these threads - its fun to look back on these competitions now that the final product has been in place for a few years.

Back