What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
@Marcanadian, I suspect the two hotels (and this is speculation because we don't know the brand of the hotel expected for the new complex) will offer substantially different services and price points for those services. One place where the Hyatt will "clean up" will be on over-bookings for the new hotel (assuming they have any units available). In Edmonton -- at present -- if I were looking for a location for a new hotel, my first choice would be in the ICE district precinct, followed closely by the area around 96th Street and Jasper Avenue.

From Saturday night. Place didn't look very lively at all. I wonder what their booking rate is like so far. Really need this one to succeed.
_DSC0844.jpg
_DSC0848.jpg
_DSC0852.jpg
_DSC0864.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0844.jpg
    _DSC0844.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 790
  • _DSC0848.jpg
    _DSC0848.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 729
  • _DSC0852.jpg
    _DSC0852.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 782
  • _DSC0864.jpg
    _DSC0864.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 791
Currently an oasis in the desert. Very brave move by the owners. It will take time and surrounding projects to take hold before this becomes a viable entity. It also needs to promote itself with some nearby neighbours -- the Ukrainian Museum, the Convention Centre, the Citadel, etc.

Armature and Hyatt Place Downtown Edmonton to Officially Open

January 20, 2017

Members of the media are invited to join Mayor Don Iveson, City Manager Linda Cochrane, and Prem Singhmar, owner of the Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown for the official opening of the Armature and Hyatt Place Downtown/Edmonton. The Hyatt Place Hotel is the first major new downtown Edmonton hotel in a generation, and this opening marks a significant milestone in the redevelopment of the Quarters Downtown.

Media will be invited on a guided tour of the hotel followed by a short ribbon-cutting ceremony on the Armature.

Date: Monday, January 23
Time:
Media tours of Hyatt Place Hotel 3:15 p.m.
Ribbon-cutting: 4:15 p.m.

Media contacts:

City of Edmonton
Lesley Vaage
587-594-1159

Hyatt Place Downtown/Edmonton
Sameh Khedr
587-525-1234

The Quarters Downtown celebrates two milestones

January 23, 2017

The Quarters Downtown has reached two major milestones with the official openings of the Armature and Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown.

“The Armature is the crown jewel of the Quarters Downtown, and is a significant milestone for Edmonton,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown is the first new development along the Armature, the first downtown hotel in a generation, and is a stunning cornerstone for this area."

“We wanted to create something very beautiful. This was the first hotel being built Downtown in the last 30 years, and we wanted it to reflect the vision for the future of Downtown and the Quarters,” said Prem Singhmar, owner of Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown.

The Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown is the first Hyatt Place hotel in Canada and is located at the southeast corner of 96 Street, anchoring the Armature. The Armature runs along 96 Street from 103A Avenue to Jasper Avenue.

This pedestrian-oriented street will be the home of Kinistinâw Park, urban plazas, shopping and eating. As Downtown’s first “green street” the Armature uses sustainable neighbourhood design principles to create a thriving, livable green street. This includes a mixed use of land to prioritize walkability and innovative “green” technology such as special soil systems that capture rainfall to be reused to water shrubs and trees along the street.

The neighbourhood is well-connected to the urban core and river valley, yet is being designed to have a distinct and unique feel. In particular, the Armature celebrates and encourages distinctive and attractive architecture, anchored by Hyatt Place, designed by local architect Gene Dub.

Next steps for the Quarters Downtown includes the construction of Kinistinâw Park, which is located north of Hyatt Place. The park is currently in consultation phase, with construction set to start in 2018.

The City of Edmonton invites the public to view these latest developments by attending a community festival on Saturday, February 18 to celebrate the opening of the street.

For more information:

Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown

The Armature

Photo Gallery - The Quarters before Armature and Hyatt Place Development

Media contacts:

City of Edmonton
Lesley Vaage
(587)594-1159

Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown
Sameh Khedr
(587)525-1234 ext. 5103

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/eezek--bjmy3-5kftw917

I attended the grand opening and got lots of photos. Will edit them and assemble a story as soon as I can.

Is this big triangular canopy coming sometime in the future or is this just an older (and since revised) version of the project?

15508-52189.png

Is this the most recent rendering?

12310311_7_z.jpg

The renderings show a heightened level of articulation at the base, with balconies running up the angular elevation. That's a bit different than what we got - might be good for Flash Forward Friday.

Back