Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
DSC_2056.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. It's going to take a lot of $$ to redo the electrical, stove ventilation, plumbing for ensuite laundry. But then maybe its transitional housing rentals and the city picks up the cost of doing all the renovations (which is significant)?

I am hearing some really bad things going on internally with this hotel owner Prem Singhmar and the City of Edmonton. I have a feeling that it will and probably should be publicly released soon.
Really shady stuff
Was there anything further anyone heard RE this?

That hotel must be losing SO much money, considering it's in a bad area, and it'll be years until its profitable again due to Covid. It makes sense to spend a couple million to revamp it into rentals and MAYBE still make financing payments to avoid foreclosure. Thanks Ian!

Reactions: God
Maybe I dreamed it but didn't we see a conversion permit?
Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 367417937-002
Description:To change the Use from a Hotel to a Lodging House (249 Sleeping Units) / Multi-unit Housing (6 Dwellings) building.
Plan 1323656 Blk 4 Lot 1
Applicant:INVISTEC CONSULTING LTD
Create Date:2020/07/09
Neighbourhood:BOYLE STREET
Class Of Permit:Class A

This as well:
Reference Id:Job No 384012627-002
Description:To construct 2 rooftop Telecommunications Facilities (18 antennae, shrouded) with Accessory structures.
Plan 1323656 Blk 4 Lot 1
Applicant:LANDSOLUTIONS LP
Create Date:2021/01/18
Neighbourhood:BOYLE STREET
Issue Date:2021/02/10
Class Of Permit:No Development Permit Required

My guess is some of the original issues with the hotel are holding up the new DP since it was submitted last year.

Wow. (249 Sleeping Units) / Multi-unit Housing (6 Dwellings). Is not the permitted use for either a hotel or not? Were they planning on giving up the permitted use as a hotel? Is there another property in the city that is multi-purpose permitted use of hotel, hostel, room house and apartment rental?

So this may be one of the transitional housing buildings the City is looking at buying ... if it were approved. Given the building is likely financed, I can't imagine the lenders are in a hurry to see their investment "downgraded" by a change in permitted use unless they have a guaranteed revenue stream that they find acceptable or they can off-load. .

Just walked by this one the other day, lots of homeless just sitting on the concrete in front of the unleased retail bays, plenty of broken windows right now. I think it makes the whole city seem like a bad investment when a developer who takes a risk to build a nice looking building here is completely burned by it.

Adding further to the existing burden of the Quarters by turning this into transitional housing is just absolutely crazy, would turn this once beacon of change and improvement for the Quarters into an emblem of the city's continued abject failure to make the area more livable and vibrant.

Last edited:

Back