MacEwan University School of Business | ?m | ?s | MacEwan University

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Budget 2024 -
$75 million over three years for MacEwan University Business School to expand capacity by
5,000 students in high-demand economic sectors

I'm confused. At the 2023 announcement by the government in November, and noted on the MacEwan website, the province is providing $125 million for the business school to accommodate 7,500 students.

Does that likely mean $75M for next 3 years and $50M following that? And why the difference in students from 7,500 in the 2023 announcement to 5,000 students now.

Screenshot_20240302-072810_Samsung Internet.jpg

But in November:
"By 2030, she said, the university projects that number will grow to 30,000, including an additional 7,500 students who will study in the new building."

Last edited:
It is confusing. I feel this is just a re-announcement of funds already committed, with the numbers changed to make it less obvious.

I could be wrong and it would be good if someone in the government could clarify if this is additional money, but maybe they have confused themselves too.

Construction is expected to start "soon" on MacEwan University's new School of Business building.
The downtown Edmonton-based post-secondary institution on Monday awarded the contract to build the structure to Ledcor.
MacEwan President Annette Trimbee says the building, which is slated to open in 2027 and will make space for an additional 7,500 students, can't be built soon enough as the university is running out of room for students, calling Monday a milestone day.
“This means we can put shovels in the ground as soon as it thaws," Trimbee said.
"The site is all ready to go and you’ll see a lot happening soon.”
Last month, the provincial government confirmed $125 million for the project.

*there is a new video showing elevations and interiors.

I think there will be a bit of construction race between MacU and Norquest, both benefitting downtown Edmonton in a significant way (socially and infrastructure wise), and the ever-strengthening Post Secondary scene from an Education standpoint.

I think there will be a bit of construction race between MacU and Norquest, both benefitting downtown Edmonton in a significant way (socially and infrastructure wise), and the ever-strengthening Post Secondary scene from an Education standpoint.
What's happening at Norquest? I thought they were done any construction for now.

Back