2.6K     0 

French Quarter Mixed Use | ?m | 2s | Caliber Master Builder

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I really like this little build on 92st in the Quarters, turned out so well. More of these please!
2020-12-03 005.JPG

I really like this little build on 92st in the Quarters, turned out so well. More of these please!
View attachment 286726

Agree, a great model for providing small-scale commercial to a community. Would love something like this in the heart of my own neighbourhood.

You're not wrong, but this one would have replaced some houses. The residents argued that it would "ruin the character of the neighbourhood" :rolleyes:
Yes, it would bring people to their neighborhood or allow them to walk places in their own hood instead of them driving to other places in the city. Wealthy neighborhoods and developments don't typically follow development norms though.

Yes, it would bring people to their neighborhood or allow them to walk places in their own hood instead of them driving to other places in the city. Wealthy neighborhoods and developments don't typically follow development norms though.
Ah I see, I misinterpreted your comment. I agree with you completely.

When it comes to neighborhoods like Glenora, Crestwood, Valleyview, Laurier Heights etc. there exists what I'd like to call an "opulence complex" among a vocal portion of their residents, in the sense that they believe that their neighborhoods are special unicorns which should only attract the finest and most lustrous and expensive single-family development (and strip malls, of course) in some sort of effort to keep out the inner city "heathens" from "infecting" their safe space :rolleyes:. I know quite a few people who live in these neighborhoods, and while I do agree that new development should at least somewhat match the established character and feel of the surrounding area, I am so done with the whole NIMBY-ass attitude of "no new density, no walkable commercial development that isn't fronted by parking lots, and absolutely no new transit-oriented development". It's like some of these people want their neighborhood to remain in this car-centric time bubble safe from the changes of the surrounding city, even though they are just as much part of the integrated urban fabric as any other neighborhood. It's absolute bullsh*t.

Also side note, what is it with the major beef some of these people have with the LRT?? They treat it like the root of every inconvenience in their world: "Traffic made me late for work? That damned LRT!" "They wanna build a duplex down the street from me?? The LRT's back at it again!!" "I put too much cream in my coffee this morning? The LRT's ruining my life!!!" 🤣🤣🤣

When it comes to neighborhoods like Glenora, Crestwood, Valleyview, Laurier Heights etc. there exists what I'd like to call an "opulence complex" among a vocal portion of their residents, in the sense that they believe that their neighborhoods are special unicorns which should only attract the finest and most lustrous and expensive single-family development (and strip malls, of course) in some sort of effort to keep out the inner city "heathens" from "infecting" their safe space :rolleyes:.

I live in one of the neighborhoods you mentioned and I actually moved there because I wanted to be part of the inner-city lol

It's a trade-off I consciously made - close to the core, safe and upscale neighborhood but I had to pay a bit more for that and I do have to deal with some NIMBY's. That said the ability to walk/bike everywhere I go has been a cost and time savings benefit in addition to improved mental health.

I think the "heathen" comment is a little overboard. Good people move to these neighborhoods with the best of intentions. And I can tell you I am noticing that the younger demographics of my neighborhood (the ones who are now my neighbors and who I run into on the street) would love to see new developments and street-level community retail. I think alot of the NIMBYism I see is from older folks who've owned their homes for 30 years if I am being blunt.

@Omega Prime I agree, and that's why I specified that only a "vocal portion" had those kind of views. I do believe that the majority of people in these areas are okay with new development as long as it sticks to the general feel of the area and is well executed, like I said above. I am hopeful that these more rational voices like yours and mine can outweigh the anti-development minority that has been historically the most vocal. I live in North Glenora, which maybe some would consider to be part of the "posh" group, but I can safely tell you that it is one of most diverse neighborhoods from a demographics and development standpoint, with there being a big growth in new single-family home builds and multi-family projects on the horizon just blocks away from each other. Here's the link to a very cool sustainable multi-family project planned in out area: T5M

I'm personally very excited for this future, however there are a few who I know hold sentiments in the underlying "heathens" theme, which is why I used it. Thanks and have a great day 😁

Description: To construct Interior Alteration - Tenant improvements to construct a coffee shop in a shell tenant space.
Permit date: December 22, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Restaurants and Bars (540)
Address: 8816 - 92 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: BONNIE DOON
Zoning: CNC
Value: $45,000.00

Back