Winspear Centre Completion Project | 29.87m | 4s | Winspear Centre | Andrew Bromberg

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
It is inching closer to Ianistique square-ism -- not a good sign. It seems to be enclosing more space

The project seems to be shrinking in scale and aesthetic in real time. 18946-109330.jpg
18946-109330.jpg
Different angle than the one avenuer posted, no?

A side by side comparison of old and new from approximately the same view/angle.
old winspear 2.jpg
20210818_WP_Brochure_V2.jpg

It's hard to tell from just this one angle but it looks as though the south portion of the project (the single story entranceway and the second floor indoor/outdoor garden) in the foreground of the first/old render has bee eliminated and replaced by an at grade outdoor plaza/garden. The north portion of the project (the Music box and lobby) looks pretty similar. I would have to see more renderings from other angles to form an opinion on that portion of the project (i.e. better or worse than the original design).

Renderings are difficult things from which to pronounce design changes, BUT, if you look at key reference points -- the proscenium box of the existing theatre or the relationship of the southwest corner of the roof to that and the office tower behind, it actually seems like the new structure has enclosed quite a bit more interior space. The roof looks longer in the later version and the building is slightly more squat. I wouldn't be surprised if all of that is true, thereby making the forecourt smaller and programmatically less significant. I miss the tiered landscape of the newer version, but I like the more pronounced curvilinear aspect of the structure itself. I actually prefer the later version taken in the over all.

It does look like the amphitheatre is gone as well as the entire upper floor plate and possibly some of connections into the Winspear.

Back