Winspear Centre Completion Project | 29.87m | 4s | Winspear Centre | Andrew Bromberg

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Progress is slow but steady. lower floor is finally getting its slab.
Win1.jpg

Disappointing ... yes. Donors who contributed must be alarmed what was axed. I am having a hard time visualizing what the building will look like now externally and with the loss of the garden walkway.

Reactions: God
Has the building size been reduced? By this I mean gross square metres? Its one thing to say some functional areas have been relocated ... which btw the second floor garden was crucial to the architects vision! But exactly WHAT gross area was reduced to accommodate the VE butchers? Or was the net area the same with rearrangement of space?

Yes the building size has been reduced. The new render doesn't look quite as tall with the glass on the second floor. The daycare and administrative areas on the main level have been removed. The 2nd floor plaza has been moved to the main level but there is still still a second floor garden and it looks like it may have been slightly reduced in size. I would still call it a plaza on the 2nd level but I'm not sure what the threshold is for plaza status.

There are other minor removals that I can't recall.

Yes the building size has been reduced. The new render doesn't look quite as tall with the glass on the second floor. The daycare and administrative areas on the main level have been removed. The 2nd floor plaza has been moved to the main level but there is still still a second floor garden and it looks like it may have been slightly reduced in size. I would still call it a plaza on the 2nd level but I'm not sure what the threshold is for plaza status.

Any chance of posting the new render?

I'm guessing that the music box survived these changes then? And why were the administrative spaces and daycare removed? Will the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra suffer at all as a result of these losses?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the music box survived these changes then? And why were the administrative spaces and daycare removed? Will the Edmomton Symphony Orchestra suffer at all as a result of these losses?
Yes it looks like the music box is still there. I don’t think the orchestra areas were affected.

Budget changes necessitated some revisions.

@EdmTrekker I don’t have permission unfortunately. Perhaps others do.

Back