Walterdale Bridge Replacement | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | DIALOG

Aug. 3 - From the Shaw Conference Centre overpass at Grierson Hill

P8030689.jpg

Attachments

• P8030689.jpg
    P8030689.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 485
Nice catch on the MRVA overpass in the foreground @Daveography! Too bad about the white-on-green directional signs in front of -- maybe the City could consider shape appropriate OLED digital signs mounted directly on the pedestrian overpass to replace these.

I love the little green bridge With some imagination it could become a beautiful glassed-in structure and a great location for eateries, pubs, taverns, patisseries, etc. -- imagine, then, how the river valley would come alive! And it holds Edmonton History. Please don't destroy it. Imagine the inner workings of these uses exposed in dramatic design fashion. Perhaps a see-through glass-block floor to exaggerate the river presence. If someone or many ones can help with the political support I will take on the design challenge for free (no fee).

Two years on, no word yet on opening date for Walterdale Bridge
The city still won’t say when the long-delayed new Walterdale Bridge will finally open to traffic.

Adam Laughlin, Edmonton’s deputy city manager of integrated infrastructure, told reporters in June that, based on the contractor’s schedule, the main portion of the bridge would start carrying vehicles in September, barring major weather delays.

He didn’t provide an exact date, saying early in the project contractors and the city didn’t set realistic expectations.

A city spokeswoman wouldn’t indicate Wednesday when the $155-million structure will open or reveal whether there will be a news conference to announce the event.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ord-yet-on-opening-date-for-walterdale-bridge

I feel like they are just going to open it one day... no press, just boom open.

Seeing as it's had so much attention and all.

Walterdale Bridge contractor could face $10.5M in late fines
Based on daily delay penalties, the primary contractor building Edmonton’s new Walterdale Bridge could end up paying more than $10 million in fines.

Construction of the $155-million bridge is two years behind schedule, and while the delays won’t cost the city anything, the contractor, Acciona-Pacer Joint Venture, is being charged two kinds of penalties: $10,000/day for site occupancy and $7,000/day for administration costs.

The site occupancy penalties started accruing on June 12, 2015 — the day APJV promised the bridge would open — and would amount to nearly $8.2 million if the bridge opened today. The administration costs penalties started accruing on Oct. 15, 2016, and would amount to nearly $2.3 million if the bridge opened today.

That’s $10.45 million.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3722954/walterdale-bridge-contractor-could-face-10-5m-in-late-fines/

I feel like they are just going to open it one day... no press, just boom open.

Seeing as it's had so much attention and all.
Haha. Seems like a trend with the buckled bridge and the Metro LRT. I truly hope that Valley Line doesn't meet the same fate that these aforementioned projects have.

Paula Simons: Walterdale Bridge to open 'any day now,' Mayor Don Iveson says
It hangs there, shimmering white in the river valley, haunting and taunting us.

We were supposed to be able to drive over the fancy new Walterdale bridge in the autumn of 2015.

Then we were told we’d be able to cross the North Saskatchewan River in the autumn of 2016.

We’re still waiting.

Word from City Hall is that it won’t be much longer.

“The bridge will open to traffic this September,” deputy city manager Adam Laughlin assured me in a brief email Monday. “Project remains on budget.”

“We’re very close. Any day now,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “Any day now, I think. Though I wish they would tell me when.”

But if the bridge project wasn’t over its $155-million budget, it was hugely over time.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...dge-to-open-any-day-now-mayor-don-iveson-says

Preserving memories of old bridge
With the new Walterdale Bridge set to open by the end of September, some Edmontonians are thinking about ways to preserve the memory of its predecessor.

Edmonton Heritage Council Executive Director David Ridley said it’s important to recognize the significance of the green bridge with the “weird” open-grate deck that has allowed passage across the North Saskatchewan River for more than a century.

“Let’s make sure that there’s at least recognition that it was important and there’s a way of retaining some kind of memory about it,” Ridley said.

He said the bridge marks a key place on the river where the water depth allowed passage to occur, and where businessman John Walter ran his ferry service in the early 1900s.

Ridley said he would like to see some sort of historical marker to connect generations and give people a deeper sense of place.

Dan Rose with Heritage Forward said remnants of the bridge could “make a fantastic lookout point over the river.”

“I for one, and I think many heritage groups in Edmonton, would strongly encourage preservation or some sort of reuse of the structure,” Rose said.

Failing that, he suggests, girders could be salvaged for a park feature.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...old-walterdale-bridge-won-t-be-forgotten.html

Back