Village on 121 | 60.04m | 18s | Nearctic Group | GEC

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
121 street is becoming one of the premiere livable streets in Edmonton -- walkable, Paul Kane Park (extraordinaire), shops & offices (Oliver Exchange), etc.

102 AVENUE is becoming the premiere livable street in Edmonton -- walkable, Paul Kane Park (extraordinaire), churches, a school, medical clinic, farmers market, shops & offices (Oliver Exchange), restaurants to come, a bike lane, mature trees, seniors housing, etc.
🙂

What if Beljan were to pick up the Open Sky project and develop something similar to their Hive project with a pedway connection over 102nd Avenue connecting to their Oliver Exchange assemblage? They would then have a substantial parking structure in place with plans already approved (?) and they could complement that with ground floor commercial and a substantial Condo tower (even if going back to a less vertical building... maybe a dozen floors). Seems to me that they could then OWN the 121 Street and 102nd Avenue corner and create a powerful town centre in the heart of Oliver. Worth a look-see?

^^^^ The pedway, too, could be broad enough to hold seating for an eatery that has views up and down 102nd Avenue... maybe with a glass floor for a little added drama. And connected to the roof of the Exchange building for outdoor patio seating (additional conversion on that site). On the northern side of the Open Sky site they could work with Village on 121 to activate the alley, tying into the V121 proposed eatery.

Gotta be a bad sign for Open Sky's development. They were renting a small bit of this site for laydown/parking for the construction of The Jameson, indicating to me we're going to be stuck with another pit for a little while.

@archited love the idea about a pedway across 102 ave. Not sure what Beljan's interest is in vertical development but they sure have vision and aren't afraid of a challenge it seems!

A
Pedway
Over
102Ave
There?

Oh boy that's rich, rich and ridiculous.

BP:

To construct a temporary Hoarding (fence) to facilitate construction of an apartment building. Starting August 1, 2022 - EXPIRING OCTOBER 31, 2022
Commercial Final
2022-10-13
10211 - 121 STREET NW
So if Nearctic sold this property….why would they be developing it? Or is the new owner all of a sudden going in guns a blazing?

Found this for the same address (same architect as Open Sky?). Something funky going on with the addresses. @Avenuer any insight?

Reference Id:Job No 358166992-032
Description:To construct an addition (adding 5 stories) to a Multi-unit Housing building with main floor General Retail Store space and an underground parkade. The number of Dwellings will increase from 140 to 185.
10211 - 121 STREET NW
Plan 2021196 Blk 20 Lot 29A
Applicant:ACTON OSTRY ARCHITECTS INC
Create Date:2022/03/14
Neighbourhood:OLIVER
Class Of Permit:Class B

Awesome to see given how long that site has sat vacant.

I remember working on an initial proposal for them almost a decade ago.
You lucky thing! I'll be 53 shortly, and I had to witnessed that empty lot since I was 18 or 1988 which predated my years of recollections...

Found this for the same address (same architect as Open Sky?). Something funky going on with the addresses. @Avenuer any insight?

Reference Id:Job No 358166992-032
Description:To construct an addition (adding 5 stories) to a Multi-unit Housing building with main floor General Retail Store space and an underground parkade. The number of Dwellings will increase from 140 to 185.
10211 - 121 STREET NW
Plan 2021196 Blk 20 Lot 29A
Applicant:ACTON OSTRY ARCHITECTS INC
Create Date:2022/03/14
Neighbourhood:OLIVER
Class Of Permit:Class B
This permit is for the Open Sky project and we knew it was coming.

Unfortunately I think the permit for the hoarding fence you posted the other day was also for the Open Sky Project, and this one is in fact still dead.

The building permit for the hoarding fence is issued for 10211 121 St NW, Lot 29A, Block 20, Plan 2021196. All of these are related to the Open Sky site.

The address of this project as per the cities zoning map is 10225 121 St NW, Lot 44, Block 20, Plan 1723566. We have the wrong address here on the forum.

What doesn't make much sense to me though is why a hoarding fence would need to be constructed on the Open Sky site, does that not already exist? Was the permit maybe to extend that because the date on it is August 2022 to October 31st 2022? I'm not very good with all this permit stuff hopefully someone can help clear it up. Heres to hoping the city made a mistake when putting in the information for the permit and is in fact for this site.

This permit is for the Open Sky project and we knew it was coming.

Unfortunately I think the permit for the hoarding fence you posted the other day was also for the Open Sky Project, and this one is in fact still dead.

The building permit for the hoarding fence is issued for 10211 121 St NW, Lot 29A, Block 20, Plan 2021196. All of these are related to the Open Sky site.

The address of this project as per the cities zoning map is 10225 121 St NW, Lot 44, Block 20, Plan 1723566. We have the wrong address here on the forum.

What doesn't make much sense to me though is why a hoarding fence would need to be constructed on the Open Sky site, does that not already exist? Was the permit maybe to extend that because the date on it is August 2022 to October 31st 2022? I'm not very good with all this permit stuff hopefully someone can help clear it up. Heres to hoping the city made a mistake when putting in the information for the permit and is in fact for this site.

I thought on the open sky thread there were public complaints to the city about this developer blocking the pedestrian access and nothing happening on site for months. And so it was shared the city was giving them until Oct 31 to get their act together and get moving on this construction or else they would be required to clear the sidewalk/street lane that they have blocked.

Back