Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Unfortunately I've said it over and over. If the train ran a late night service I'd give up completely driving to work downtown. When we finish loading out a concert, it is anywhere between midnight and 2am.
The Capital Line goes till 1:45am. Hopefully in time the Valley Line can go up from 1am to 2am. At the very least, there should be a replacement bus between 1am and 5:30am, like Toronto does.

Give it a rest mate. Jesus.

Brentwood in Vancouver is renowned as model for many above grade stations.
640px-Brentwood_Station_2022.jpg

wiki

Too many road lanes next to WEM station.
WEM is a major origination and destination point for locals and tourist types, whilst only a small percentage will be able to avail use of the tram line. Cars, taxis, shuttles, ubers/lyfts, busses, bicycles, scooters and pedestrians have a requirement for mobility no?

I thought I would tack on another perspective to the safety debate. For background, I currently live in Vancouver and take transit regularly. I hardly ever feel unsafe. So when I came back for the holidays, I was surprised when I came back for the holidays and took the capital line how noticeably less comfortable I was.

But interestingly, I don't think there's any more sketchy people on transit in edmonton than there is in Vancouver. There is however a difference in total ridership. There may be the same number of sketchy seeming people, but the ratio of them is much lower. They're less noticeable because they make up a smaller percentage of the ridership. You also feel the safety in numbers, that there's enough people around that you don't feel like they're likely to try anything. If there's two sketchy people on the platform it's pretty noticeable when there's only a few other people there with you. Not as much when there's 50 or more there with you.

I now understand why my Edmonton friends give me a funny look when I say I prefer to take transit if I can. At the same time, the perception of transit in edmonton being unsafe at least partially contributes to it feeling unsafe by reducing ridership.

To me, one of the biggest contributors to transit feeling safe is high ridership.
It feels a bit like a chicken and egg thing.

There are many things the city could do to encourage more transit use, but ETS does not have much of a customer service mentality.

In the short term, special pricing for certain major events downtown and elsewhere might help. In the medium to long run making it more convenient would help.

For instance, instead of making seniors walk blocks and blocks, how about having more stops outside of seniors residences, trying to improve on time service and more frequent service on certain routes would help too.

I feel the choice made now is not to try increase use, but to try reduce the number of sketchy people riding. It is probably cheaper and easier and may help some, but I am not sure it will help that much in the long run.

That was a really good test for the system and I am very pleased to hear that it looks like it is quite robust; the last thing this line needed was another issue.

Yup, great to see especially given that there are hardly any cities in the world that operate an lrt system in these temperatures that we just experienced.

But interestingly, I don't think there's any more sketchy people on transit in edmonton than there is in Vancouver. There is however a difference in total ridership. There may be the same number of sketchy seeming people, but the ratio of them is much lower. They're less noticeable because they make up a smaller percentage of the ridership. You also feel the safety in numbers, that there's enough people around that you don't feel like they're likely to try anything. If there's two sketchy people on the platform it's pretty noticeable when there's only a few other people there with you. Not as much when there's 50 or more there with you.
I've been saying this for years, now, not just about transit, but the city (and DT, in particular) as a whole. Edmonton does not have more sketchy people than any other major city, but the ratio is higher.
We oughta find ways to change that, and if we can, the perception of both the LRT and Downtown will change drastically

There are many things the city could do to encourage more transit use, but ETS does not have much of a customer service mentality.

In the short term, special pricing for certain major events downtown and elsewhere might help. In the medium to long run making it more convenient would help.

For instance, instead of making seniors walk blocks and blocks, how about having more stops outside of seniors residences, trying to improve on time service and more frequent service on certain routes would help too.

I feel the choice made now is not to try increase use, but to try reduce the number of sketchy people riding. It is probably cheaper and easier and may help some, but I am not sure it will help that much in the long run.

I'm at a loss for the comment that ETS doesn't have much of a customer service mentality.

I feel that any special pricing for major events could be detrimental to regular service. If the funding comes out of the regular ETS budget, then where are you regular cutting service to compensate? Special event service does not represent the bread and butter of ETS operations, although, I feel usually does a really good job of any service they do provide.

Besides, ETS already has special pricing. The Daypass doubles as a Family Pass which allows 5 people to travel, with 2 being adults over 24 years old. Elks tickets also include transit use, regular or park and ride. I believe there have been discounts offered with The Fringe. Special pricing could have a negative effect of overwhelming service which might actually be a deterrent if riders are packed in, and while the solution would then be to run more special event service, that comes at a cost. Will getting more passengers for special event service actually convert riders into regular transit users?

I'm curious if you know of any seniors residences that don't have bus stops outside of them?

And as for more frequent service, ETS has long been working on this. The entire purpose of the BNR was to bring in more frequent service in core areas and I certainly feel that it did. Since then, ETS has generally only increased frequencies, and there is another round of frequency increases to various routes, not to mention articulated bus redeployment coming this February. Much like when On Demand was created and represented an increase to the ETS budget, transferring the 73's funding to the regular ETS budget represents a further increase to the ETS budget.

That was a really good test for the system and I am very pleased to hear that it looks like it is quite robust; the last thing this line needed was another issue.
I have been quite happy with what I have seen with the Valley Line so far. No rail breaks or catenary issues with the cold weather.
My bigger concern for reliability is other weather conditions like snow (there seemed to be issues when the snow was coming down, and after) or freezing rain.

The Capital and Metro Line seemed to have had a few issues over the last few days. I saw a dead SD consist at Century Park Friday morning. Trains were running slower on the Capital Line on Thursday (likely due to the issue of U2's sucking in powdery snow at higher speeds which then melts inside and causes issues, I believe, with the traction motors). Friday or Saturday there were system wide announcements that the LRT was facing delays due to weather conditions, although I didn't actually notice any myself.

Interestingly today, at the Northbound/ Westbound platform at the Churchill Connector had a message scrolling that the platform was closed and to use the other platform for trains in both directions. It must have been an erroneous message as trains were using the platform. I suspect that might have meant they were using only the one platform at some point in the recent past.

ETS does not have a customer service mentality, they have a passenger service mentality. This is because ETS is not a business run for profit.

Yeah, a passenger service mentality like the airlines? Except they don't lose bags. The first rationalization of bad service is often to not treat people as customers.

Back