Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I support getting rid of the 90 min transfer window and instead charge a distance base fare up to a max of $2 to $3 per ride tap on then tap off. I think this would be a fair system and encourage people who only ride 2-3 stops to use the bus

Yeah. That's with Edmonton's suboptimal seating arrangement, and the lack of walkthrough trains that should probably be implemented (see Frankfurt U5).

With better seating and walkthrough trains, ETS would be closer to around 1,300 people per 5 car train compared to the current capacity of around 950 people. The Subway in Edmonton will be able to move just slightly under the TTCs highest capacity line, with no modifications to any stations.

Now imagine you're Calgary. Sinking billions into an underground subway line, but running low floor CAF Urbos trains, with only slightly higher capacity than Edmonton's Valley Line trains.
I think it's stupid, and it will put their subway system at around 60% the capacity of ours, despite being 50-60 years newer.

We complain here about ETS' decision to have at grade crossings, the choices made regarding Valley Line, etc. At least the people running things here know the difference between a tram-like line and a subway.

I do think the Valley Line is going to run into capacity issues shortly, and will need to run exclusively 2 car trains. This can be solved to an extent by increasing frequency, and creative train stacking during extreme peak times. Still, it's currently capable of moving 16,500 sardines per hour at 5 minute headways.

In the first place, the capacity assumptions that the Siemens and Bombardier vehicles uses are different. The Flexity vehicle capacity assumes AW2, or seating plus 4 ppm. The 190 person capacity of the high floor Siemens vehicles is based on AW3, seating plus 6 ppm instead.

In the first place, the capacity assumptions that the Siemens and Bombardier vehicles uses are different. The Flexity vehicle capacity assumes AW2, or seating plus 4 ppm. The 190 person capacity of the high floor Siemens vehicles is based on AW3, seating plus 6 ppm instead.
I didn't use Bombardier's capacity estimates. What I did was apply Calgary's S200 (longitudinal seating) capacity, and only added an additional 13 people per car to my capacity estimate due to the center sections. Chances are I'm 50-100 people low on my estimate, but it's not high whatsoever.

I didn't use Bombardier's capacity estimates. What I did was apply Calgary's S200 (longitudinal seating) capacity, and only added an additional 13 people per car to my capacity estimate due to the center sections. Chances are I'm 50-100 people low on my estimate, but it's not high whatsoever.
No, I'm referring to just the first part of the post, Calgary and Toronto's vehicles have nothing to do with my original question.

Yeah. That's with Edmonton's suboptimal seating arrangement, and the lack of walkthrough trains that should probably be implemented (see Frankfurt U5).

The only issue I really have with Arc is that the tap on/off function is more awkward than basically any other tap card I've used. You often have to hold the card on the reader for a good second or two, which wastes time for impatient riders/drivers, and there's semi-regularly issues with even getting it to read at all. I never have this issue with any other tap card, from Tokyo to Los Angeles. It's a quick swipe and read.

This is admittedly a relatively mild complaint in the grand scheme of things.

No, I'm referring to just the first part of the post, Calgary and Toronto's vehicles have nothing to do with my original question.
I see what you are saying now. If you control for the differences, it would put the 2 car Valley Line train at 743 passengers?, so just shy of the capacity of the current SD160s of 760 in a 4 car arrangement.

The only issue I really have with Arc is that the tap on/off function is more awkward than basically any other tap card I've used. You often have to hold the card on the reader for a good second or two, which wastes time for impatient riders/drivers, and there's semi-regularly issues with even getting it to read at all. I never have this issue with any other tap card, from Tokyo to Los Angeles. It's a quick swipe and read.

This is admittedly a relatively mild complaint in the grand scheme of things.
Depending upon how busy it is and if I am getting on or off, I will just tap and keep moving. In particular if it's busy or I am getting off. More often than not I will then get the beep a second or two later that everything is alright. Boarding, I will do a quick tap but will usually linger long enough for the response from the reader. I don't think there's a need to hold the card to the reader until you get a response. I cringe a little bit when I see people pressing their cards against the readers hard enough to make the card very noticeably bend. I often find that stationary readers (LRT stations) respond almost instantly, which I guess is the difference between a hardwire connection and a wireless connection.

Depending upon how busy it is and if I am getting on or off, I will just tap and keep moving. In particular if it's busy or I am getting off. More often than not I will then get the beep a second or two later that everything is alright. Boarding, I will do a quick tap but will usually linger long enough for the response from the reader. I don't think there's a need to hold the card to the reader until you get a response. I cringe a little bit when I see people pressing their cards against the readers hard enough to make the card very noticeably bend. I often find that stationary readers (LRT stations) respond almost instantly, which I guess is the difference between a hardwire connection and a wireless connection.

Fair enough. I just don't want to deal with it not actually beeping. And why doesn't it just, you know, beep if it's reading at that moment, like literally every other tap card?

Ah, should have been clearer. I'm referring to information, data, you know, items that are used to target a specific market. Data is money, I won't even get into thatt "tracking" information argument...
That type of data information would be great for fare zones calculation efforts, but I don't feel like being on the receiving end of unsolicited marketing. Yeah, I'm wearing my aluminum hat rather tightly these days

IMG_1734.png

Girders have been installed over the Henday?

Back