Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Controversial opinion: considering covid, the Valley line isn't really that late. Compared to many other transit infrastructure projects in North America we're doing well and relatively on schedule. No cost overruns is also very good.

Controversial opinion: considering covid, the Valley line isn't really that late. Compared to many other transit infrastructure projects in North America we're doing well and relatively on schedule. No cost overruns is also very good.
That's setting an extremely low bar. In addition, some of the most serious issues that have plagued this line--like the deficiencies in the columns--have absolutely nothing to do with COVID.

You could also say that when compared with a major infrastructure disaster like Berlin's Flughafen Willy Brandt--which took 14 years to open from the start of construction and sat, essentially completed but unusable, from 2014 until 2020--the Valley Line is not in bad shape at all.

But like I pointed out, that's an extremely low bar.

Thank you for being positive on this thread. I think the tardiness of Transed is just something to avoid fixating on at this point lol. shit happens.

In other news, Marigold has 2 segments up by West Ed now. I thought it was cool that they're forming the viaduct as segments pier-to-pier, out of the smaller precast segments. I figured it would all be in one shot, like the Menzies. Also, those bridge bearings are getting a good squish-test rn. Half the Gantry was cantilevered out, so most of it's weight was on this one point.

VLW bearing squishsquish.jpg

So just because it's not as bad as the rest of the projects going on we have to accept something 3 years late with multiple boondoggles along the way? What happened to holding providers accountable? Wow....

It's amusing to note that it was FIVE years ago this month that the city received its first LRV from Bombardier, and still not a single revenue passenger has been carried. Even more hilariously, worries were expressed at the time that production delays at Bombardier (which had affected multiple projects in Toronto) might pose a challenge to operation of the Valley Line.
Toronto is in the same boat to with the Eglington Crosstown as well. Even the Finch West line that was supposed to be have different LRT vehicles because Bombardier wasn't budling them fast enough has even seen delays and I'm not even sure if the have all of the trains yet either. Most of the delays in Toronto were to the ones for the Streetcar network because of some issues with the frames coming from a plant in Mexico.

I saw the messaging signs turned off at Bonnie Doon on the ride home. I wonder if some work is going on with the cables.

Back