Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

that was adeylayed cuased more by them piggybacking on the metrolinx order for the crosstown line. Alos at the time Metrolinxs was still going off of old timelines that invoilded routes that wer deferd or cbancled. Bombardier ebed up making a sperte offer to Ion to buld the yrains for them at the same cost well Metrolknx still wanted ther deleved to an unknmow loctaion as ta the time tje mataince facility for the crosstown wasn't complete
you might want to turn on autocorrect

Meanwhile, work getting more and more intense on the west leg, Stoney Plain Rd is torn up, and work being done on utilities & new sidewalks.

FzzU7viXsAE-6eG

I don't often agree with him, but I think in this case he has some valid points. Maybe he is a bit harsh, but not wrong here.

I suppose those not on council or otherwise involved at the time have some leeway, but this was an agreement the city entered into willingly at the time.

I don't often agree with him, but I think in this case he has some valid points. Maybe he is a bit harsh, but not wrong here.

I suppose those not on council or otherwise involved at the time have some leeway, but this was an agreement the city entered into willingly at the time.

I think you should watch the Ryan Jespersen episode that was posted here yesterday - at about the 10 minute mark both Cartmell and Knack, who were not councillors at the time, defend the council of the day who they say had the choice to accept this P3 model as is or walk away from federal funding on a $2 billion project.
In fact Knack said he was watching this discussion in council chambers and could see and hear the concerns council was raising about this particular P3, but the alternative was to not take the funding. It really did not sound like there was opportunity to negotiate different terms.

Exactly what good points did he make that you agree with?

That Jespo interview also had both councillors point out the real problem with the P3 isn't the construction, it's that TransEd is also tasked with operating this line, not ETS. The amount of hands on this when it opens will likely be problematic.

Also, there was a letter sent in from a source within the consortium that TransEd effectively cannot make their money back on this line either due to the cost of all the delays.

Buckle up Buckaroos.

Exactly what good points did he make that you agree with?
First the current issue of the oxidized cables and further delays after over two and a half years of various delays already. What incompetence all around!

Second, the unaddressed design issues where you know vehicles keep on running trains and trains running into people. At this point we can't say we have been warned. I suppose it will eventually get fixed probably when more serious accidents eventually happen. Given all current delays, it might be a good time to deal with this now, but due to ineptitude it will probably cause further delays or service interuptions in the future.

Third, the city agreed to the P3 terms. So it is not all someone else's fault (always a default bureaucratic go to scapegoat excuse for any problem). City managers are not some stupid rubes (or at least they should not be) who got the wool pulled over their eyes by the Feds, the city has lawyers and others who well understand contract terms.

I think you should watch the Ryan Jespersen episode that was posted here yesterday - at about the 10 minute mark both Cartmell and Knack, who were not councillors at the time, defend the council of the day who they say had the choice to accept this P3 model as is or walk away from federal funding on a $2 billion project.
In fact Knack said he was watching this discussion in council chambers and could see and hear the concerns council was raising about this particular P3, but the alternative was to not take the funding. It really did not sound like there was opportunity to negotiate different terms.
The city had the opportunity to make a choice and made it. In hindsight, seems not a good one, it might have been better to walk away.

Everyone has responsibility for the actions they take and to say yes you agreed to it, but now say it was someone else's fault is contradictory. I realize politicians sometimes thrive on contradictions and blaming others for everything.

Responsibility and blame often should be shared. Yes, it is not all the city's fault, but I do want them to take responsibility for their part instead of playing the political blame game.

Second, the unaddressed design issues where you know vehicles keep on running trains and trains running into people. At this point we can't say we have been warned. I suppose it will eventually get fixed probably when more serious accidents eventually happen. Given all current delays, it might be a good time to deal with this now, but due to ineptitude it will probably cause further delays or service interuptions in the future.

This kind of point is getting kind of exhausting... Every single one of these accidents was entirely on the driver's fault, no following street signage. It's not a design flaw, it's entitlement, lack of attention and disregard for traffic rules.

In the end, this falls into the same category of people who complain about photo radars... If you don't want to get into an accident, follow the rules, pay attention. I assure you, everything will be fine. It's not like the trains will go out of their way to create an accident.

It's also annoying, that Edmonton seems to be a place in this country where drivers are, apparently, unable to adjust to ANY changes that are not designed specifically to benefit them. I'm pretty sure that you could add overpasses crisscrossing the city, creating a very dangerous bike/pedestrian environment in a lot of places (ever more than we already have) and NO ONE would keep pointing out that these were flawed designs generating accidents galore, or how much time it added to a pedestrian/bike crossing.

This kind of point is getting kind of exhausting... Every single one of these accidents was entirely on the driver's fault, no following street signage. It's not a design flaw, it's entitlement, lack of attention and disregard for traffic rules.

In the end, this falls into the same category of people who complain about photo radars... If you don't want to get into an accident, follow the rules, pay attention. I assure you, everything will be fine. It's not like the trains will go out of their way to create an accident.

It's also annoying, that Edmonton seems to be a place in this country where drivers are, apparently, unable to adjust to ANY changes that are not designed specifically to benefit them. I'm pretty sure that you could add overpasses crisscrossing the city, creating a very dangerous bike/pedestrian environment in a lot of places (ever more than we already have) and NO ONE would keep pointing out that these were flawed designs generating accidents galore, or how much time it added to a pedestrian/bike crossing.

So much this.

Funny how we only think roads have design flaws when people driving are impacted. Never when a person driving impacts another human that's not in a car, in which case it's always their fault for existing.

So tiresome and frustrating.

First the current issue of the oxidized cables and further delays after over two and a half years of various delays already. What incompetence all around!

Third, the city agreed to the P3 terms. So it is not all someone else's fault (always a default bureaucratic go to scapegoat excuse for any problem). City managers are not some stupid rubes (or at least they should not be) who got the wool pulled over their eyes by the Feds, the city has lawyers and others who well understand contract terms.
1. Who knows why the cables are starting to fail at this early stage. There could any number of reasons and I don’t know if Transed is sharing this information with the city they certainly aren’t with us. What brought this to their attention at this time? I’m sure they is plenty of blame to go around within Transed I don’t see how the city is getting blamed.
2. I will ask this question again Have you ever been to Toronto?
The majority of accidents have been caused by driver complacency who feel roads are their private domain and don’t want to share with bikes or trams. When the sign says no right turn or no right turn on a red light that is exactly what it means. Maybe we should ban right turns on a red lights as they do in Quebec. I was nearly run over a few weeks back on 104 avenue by Unity Square by a driver looking left and turning right at the same time.
Unfortunately there have been a number of fatal accidents with pedestrians being run over by buses as well as many by other vehicles. In a good number of cases it is because of pedestrian inattention usually because they have head sets on and are not in touch with their environment or they are intoxicated.
3. Stop reading right wing proper gander put out by Gunther otherwise known as the gospel according to saint Stephen Harper. The city could have refused the funding then what would the story line be. I can only wonder. “The city of Edmonton is so far behind in public transportation because the radical left on council will not cooperate with a conservative government “. Or words to that effect.

So if accidents are all the drivers fault and people should just be better drivers, then no need for speed limits, lights, stop signs or anything really because we should just expect people to drive better and there will be no problems.

I'm quite sure the city normally considers what accidents happen when making changes or improvements to roads and intersections. It would be nice if people were better or perfect, but that is naive and unrealistic. We dismiss or ignore the feedback we are already getting here at our own peril.

Back