Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Perhaps they just found these issues now that they're doing testing (this death of a thousand cuts is brutal waiting fir the latest snafu).
I'd wait for a transEd announcement, but frankly, don't trust anything from those keystone cops.

They assured the public last year it was fine, so I'm assuming they checked it out. However, these are the same people who, before the cracks were announced, said everything was fine, only a month later to announce that the previous month (when they said all was good) they found cracks. So I'm guessing they knew and put it off or thought by not looking it would go away on its own.

The bridge may potentially need to be replaced completely
I hope that NEVER happens and that the damage is reparable
Someone mentioned here that the bridge was built by American Bridge Co, This 122 year old company has an extensive portfolio of bridge building. I can't understand how this can happen to the Tawatina bridge as well. A link to their page. A short summary of the project;
Tawatina Bridge Project by American Bridge

Someone mentioned here that the bridge was built by American Bridge Co, This 122 year old company has an extensive portfolio of bridge building. I can't understand how this can happen to the Tawatina bridge as well. A link to their page. A short summary of the project;
Tawatina Bridge Project by American Bridge
Probably was TransEd’s concrete engineering and supplier who handled that portion, given they kept the same pier shape design going onto the bridge

Are we sure the epoxy-whatever going in now is due to an actual deficiency, vs managing normal cracking? none of the cracks in this pier (I ride through it pretty often, including before these repairs) seem very large or worrisome. if anything, i'd be concerned about water from the failing drainage system getting in to them and they grow due to the freeze-thaw as opposed to cracking due to structural issues. as a reference, the piers on the Menzies bridge (not sure who the guy is, but you can see the cracking well) look a LOT worse that the Tawatina, and nothing is being done about that.
idk, I'm wondering if this trying to prevent water ingress as opposed to a more serious structural issue.

Doesn’t look like any train testing today.
Only 2 trains between Grey Nuns and Mill Woods TC. Exhilarating day for them no doubt!
2 trains parked at Muttart.
Derails at the north end of the guideway, and crews (WPE most likely) working within the RoW blocking track at 100 St and 102 Ave.
What looked like a WPE crew north of 38 Ave, although, not within the RoW.
That was just what I observed, could have been more out there.

It's just the one pier on the Tawatina Bridge that has the repair work. I'm not a TransEd booster by any stretch of the imagination but I think some of you are blowing things out of proportion (as usual).

And @EdwardEdm is correct - 2 trains are parked at the Muttart station:

20230502_194154.jpg

It's just the one pier on the Tawatina Bridge that has the repair work. I'm not a TransEd booster by any stretch of the imagination but I think some of you are blowing things out of proportion (as usual).
To be fair, we have every reason to be worried.

Once bitten, twice shy

Saw something interesting today.
Noted 1023/ 1024 heading south at Grey Nuns. Ran back into that pair Downtown at 100 St as they were heading for the 102 St stop. Watched them crossover from the westbound track to the eastbound track, taking the preferred routing.
Came out from Horton's and find the same pair stopped, while going back through the same crossover, so crossing over from the eastbound track to the westbound track. Not good. It seems it was a sudden stop as the train was partially in the 100A St crosswalk, and not fully pulled up to the lights at 100 St as per normal. After sometime, they switched ends and took the train back into the 102 St stop.
Could speculate on a lot that could have gone wrong, but, without much more than what I saw, there's simply too much that could have happened. I guess it's good that whatever the reason is, it occurred during testing.

The other crossover at 100 St is back in use. Rails nicely polished.

Back