Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Bonnie Doon this morning:

4924103C-D315-4D94-AD3C-05EF9C84EEBF.jpeg

Does anyone know what the bike infastructure will be like on the west leg? I know some areas have multi use paths, but does the whole line have connectivity? Or just random stretches of paths. West Central lacks good infastructure. 87th, 95th ave, 100th, stony...one or 2 of them need some strong infastructure

Does anyone know what the bike infastructure will be like on the west leg? I know some areas have multi use paths, but does the whole line have connectivity? Or just random stretches of paths. West Central lacks good infastructure. 87th, 95th ave, 100th, stony...one or 2 of them need some strong infastructure
good question. the ROW along SPR is super narrow, not a lot of room for a path right along the train. 102 ave is nice and direct coming out of downtow, but peters out for no friggin reason at 139(?) and the sharrows that pick up the rest are inadequate.100 Ave has a nice path along it, starting at 149st, which could be better connected to Mackinnon Ravine with relatively little effort, but that still wouldn't solve the problem you highlight, i think. There really ought to be a proper connection from DT out to the west end, but i just can't think of something continuous with enough space, although i'd love for someone to prove me wrong on that lol. idk, its a big issue, but i don't think this train will solve it unfortunately. i am betting 87 ave from Lewis Estates to 156 will see something though, they have the space.

good question. the ROW along SPR is super narrow, not a lot of room for a path right along the train. 102 ave is nice and direct coming out of downtow, but peters out for no friggin reason at 139(?) and the sharrows that pick up the rest are inadequate.100 Ave has a nice path along it, starting at 149st, which could be better connected to Mackinnon Ravine with relatively little effort, but that still wouldn't solve the problem you highlight, i think. There really ought to be a proper connection from DT out to the west end, but i just can't think of something continuous with enough space, although i'd love for someone to prove me wrong on that lol. idk, its a big issue, but i don't think this train will solve it unfortunately. i am betting 87 ave from Lewis Estates to 156 will see something though, they have the space.
Yeah, the 100th ave,/149st and 102ave, 139st gap is a HUGE missing link. 100 ave mti use path is somewhat a floating island without great utility. 95ave from 142st to 178st is the ideal route from what I can see. Multiple businesses, large churches, jasper place high school, FX, multiple elementary and Jr high schools. Close to the future sherwood lrt stop.

Would love to see something happen and not have to wait until after the LRT construction is finished in 6 years.

I also think linking West Ed to the bike network would be a huge win. West ed to DT would be about 45mins to bike

Looks like the 142-149 Street and 133-139 Street sections will be similar to the 83 Street segments (76-82 Avenue and 73-76 Avenue) where there's a single lane with only right turns off the road. No left turns will be allowed on these segments.
Good! This usually makes traffic flow better. Actually, the left turn addiction (and right turn on red) is something that only North America knows as a rule, not the exception.

Excellent photos, Cpl. -- that promotion is looking evermore present! You have joined the ranks of the elite photographers on Skyrise!
That truly means a lot to me, thank you Ted! I'm just using a humble phone camera (and these pictures were taken from inside my friend's vehicle), so I'm thrilled to hear that I'm doing Edmonton justice nonetheless :)

Back