Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

It was the name of a nearby hotel that burned down a long time ago. Perhaps the person who chose the name was a history buff and just liked the name and couldn't find a more distinctive name based on the area. At least they can't rename the hotel as it is gone, however currently, some negative connotations, as you pointed out.

On the whole, I think the city has done better with Valley line station names than Capital Line, although most are fairly obvious choices based on the neighbourhood. Of course, things change over time, so some of the Capital Line choices that seemed good at the time no longer are.
Maybe Corona should be re-named Park station in co-ordination with the Warehouse District Park

@Edmcowboy11 I agree, I think the name Corona is cool (outside of the context of the past year and a half yknow). It's also my personal favorite station on the LRT system, with it and Bay/Enterprise Square being almost the same with the reflective walls and ceilings but Corona having the two cool chandeliers hanging down from the atrium to the platforms. There's something very classy about it imo.

There will be one station named for Descoteau Park.
Officially at least, the Alex Decoteau stop is named after Decoteau himself, and not the park. Alex Decoteau was the city's (and Canada's) first Indigenous police officer. He was also an Olympic runner for Canada in the 1912 Summer games. Tragically, Alex Decoteau was fatally shot by a German sniper during the Second Battle of Passchendaele, at the ripe age of 29.

During the park naming process I had the pleasure of meeting with his direct descendants and various family members who shared a lot of his life with me. Truly an inspirational person and someone that certainly deserves greater recognition by our community.

And so it officially begins - this is a huge, significant moment I’m sure we’ve all been waiting for. Certainly exciting.

Also on a side note, and a completely personal opinion, but what were they thinking when they came up with Merigold? Like there wasn’t a better name to associate to a $2B state-of-the-art LRT system? I don’t know, I just struggle to take it seriously… it’s a flower and not even a nice one LOL. Merigolds are what you plant when you can’t keep real plants alive 😂😂

Back