Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Agreed, I mean you really can’t complain too much about this:
DC45AB56-880D-4ED0-915D-21B60585EDF8.jpeg
A8DEF653-C5A7-4D68-804E-096C56D3FA8E.jpeg
E94762B2-6F65-447E-ACA3-26144859DB38.jpeg
E94762B2-6F65-447E-ACA3-26144859DB38.jpeg

I posted this to reference the art not the mode of mass transit.
Yes, and I'm saying that In Montreal the cavernous underground stations are art within themselves and full of character, and how you can't really recreate that sorta thing with a tram stop.

I love the Montreal Metro, but it's definitely not the best comparison for our low-floor surface-level LRT 😆
looks like they they have improved the lighting, cleanup the concrete and removed the several million pieces of gum that were on the floor the last time I as in the Montreal Metro a good 15 years ago.

I agree the Montreal Metro is not the best comparison for our surface level LRT. I think we are at least making an effort with artwork in the stations, which is good.

However, I think the surface platforms, at least in the past tended to be small and exposed to the elements. I don't know if the city tried to do them on the cheap or if the people who design them live in southern California or somewhere like that and don't realize how chilly it can get here standing outside for more than a minute or two, at certain times of the year.

^^^^ Hey, I resemble that remark! Y'know we do get snow here in southern California in the winter (on the mountain tops and it can be darn cold up there -- better to just look at it from down here). Again, City is always on "the cheap" with capital projects but will justify any sum in terms of ongoing maintenance and operational costs -- and that is just upside down in terms of how it should be -- needs enough interested Edmontonians to force the change in attitude so that we have more expansive spending on capital costs in aid of reducing maintenance and operational costs. Otherwise, the end result is a budget unnecessarily eaten up in the latter expenses and nothing good to show for it. We need a better Mayor and Council -- people who rely on and follow outside expert advice!

looks like they they have improved the lighting, cleanup the concrete and removed the several million pieces of gum that were on the floor the last time I as in the Montreal Metro a good 15 years ago.
Funny you should say that. When I was in Paris in 2012 I was astonished at the amount of gum on the floor and stairs in their metro. I wonder what the common denominator is?

^^^^ Hey, I resemble that remark! Y'know we do get snow here in southern California in the winter (on the mountain tops and it can be darn cold up there -- better to just look at it from down here). Again, City is always on "the cheap" with capital projects but will justify any sum in terms of ongoing maintenance and operational costs -- and that is just upside down in terms of how it should be -- needs enough interested Edmontonians to force the change in attitude so that we have more expansive spending on capital costs in aid of reducing maintenance and operational costs. Otherwise, the end result is a budget unnecessarily eaten up in the latter expenses and nothing good to show for it. We need a better Mayor and Council -- people who rely on and follow outside expert advice!
Sorry, California was the closest warmer spot that came to mind. I agree it is more likely the problem is more local on this.

Trainspotting this afternoon, south of Whitemud to around 36Ave.
They're so pretty I had to stop!
View attachment 306376View attachment 306379View attachment 306381View attachment 306380View attachment 306382
Those are beautiful pictures, I love seeing a few of them out at once! Would you be ok uploading one of them to Wiki Commons so that I could put it in a few Wiki articles? If you did this, it'd give anyone permission to use it for non-profit purposes (like videos and articles), so I'm not sure if you're comfortable doing that. I haven't gone out to take a picture myself since I'm not sure when they're running and it's crunch time for school right now, so it'd be a big help :)

Back