Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I wonder how much engineering thought has been given to hoar-frosted rails and steel wheels on the climb up the hill on wintry days (of which Edmonton has some).

I don't think the grade here would be steep enough for this to be a concern. Growing up in Switzerland I have seen many a steeper grade on trains in the winter without any issues ;-)

Sure... but were they assisted? Many of those have a third rail with a wheel that interlocks into it to help it climb and prevent it from sliding backwards.

Schedule 5 - Part 7 - Light Rail Vehicles

Page 7-22: 7-1.13.1.5 Automatic Sanding System A. Provide a system to automatically apply sand to each leading wheelset of each powered bogie, for any direction of travel: 1. under low adhesion conditions; 2. in conjunction with the WSP, in accordance with Section 7-1.13.1.4 [Wheel Slide Protection] of this Schedule; 3. upon the occurrence of wheel spin, in accordance with Section 7-1.17.2A.2 [Wheel Spin] of this Schedule; 4. upon activation of the Service Brake, Emergency Brake and Security Brake, (the “Automatic Sanding System”). B. The Automatic Sanding System shall comply with EN 15595, EN 13452-1 and EN 13452-2. C. Provide cab mounted, Driver operated, controls to permit manual operation of the Automatic Sanding System during pre-service inspection/maintenance tests. The manual controls shall only operate when the LRV is stationary. D. Provide an automatic means of determining the level of sand remaining in all on-board storage hoppers/units.

Page 7-30: 7-1.17.2 Wheel Spin A. The Traction Propulsion System shall include an anti-Wheel Spin function to perform the following: 1. detect individual wheel set spin, including synchronous slide of all bogies; VAN01: 4216500: v2 7-31 Edmonton Valley Line LRT – Stage 1 Project Agreement – Execution Version Schedule 5 – D&C Performance Requirements - Part 7 LRV Date: February 8, 2016 2. maximize adhesion by automatic application of sand in accordance with Section 7-1.13.1.5 [Automatic Sanding System] of this Schedule; 3. detect wheel spin and react before reaching an uncontrolled spin condition; and 4. remove and then restore Traction Power from the affected wheel set or bogie, without reducing the applied torque to any other wheel sets or bogies.

If anyone is bored, here is the link to all the project agreement documents that will likely answer any technical questions.

Sure... but were they assisted? Many of those have a third rail with a wheel that interlocks into it to help it climb and prevent it from sliding backwards.

There are trains with cog wheels but that is only for very steep (and narrow gage) railway, which make up the vast minority of railways in Switzerland.

Not sure if this is the right thread on this but they are putting up the demolition fence around the old Western cycle building. Does anyone know if the entire building is being demolished? The fence only goes around parts of the building at this point. Does anyone know if they're demolishing the entire building or just part of it?

Not sure if this is the right thread on this but they are putting up the demolition fence around the old Western cycle building. Does anyone know if the entire building is being demolished? The fence only goes around parts of the building at this point. Does anyone know if they're demolishing the entire building or just part of it?
I'm betting the whole building is gonna go. it would be really hard to save just parts of it. I bet the site turns into some kind of staging site during construction before being redeveloped (I refuse to believe a TPSS will get placed on this corner, regardless what the concept drawings say lol) the neon signs were removed a little while ago for reinstallation, Blanchett Neon is taking that on. there's pictures buried in this thread somewhere. they might be taking more down? i dunno what was left after the first round, i thought it was done.

^ I heard they are preserving and relocating the neon sign to 104 street eventually so maybe that is what's going on. Just a guess.
You'd be right on it being relocated, although it was already taken down this past summer:

The sign has been gone for some time now. I was actually wondering about the demolition of the building itself.
The fencing is only surrounding the back (east) part of the building. Just wondering if the building is being fully demolished for LRT or being partially demolished and renovated/repurposed?

The sign has been gone for some time now. I was actually wondering about the demolition of the building itself.
The fencing is only surrounding the back (east) part of the building. Just wondering if the building is being fully demolished for LRT or being partially demolished and renovated/repurposed?

The whole building will be demolished

Back