Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I do wonder why it took so long to get the tramline running, don't think they have enough crossovers to drive past these collisions...
There's switching right before that intersection, but nothing else until you get past Bonnie Doon. So you're probably right.

I'm open to crossing arms on this southern industrial park section tbh. I know it'll slow down vehicle traffic, but that's these driver's fault.

There's switching right before that intersection, but nothing else until you get past Bonnie Doon. So you're probably right.

I'm open to crossing arms on this southern industrial park section tbh. I know it'll slow down vehicle traffic, but that's these driver's fault.
That seems like a pretty big design flaw to me (granted, I'm not someone who would know the norms here).

They may just have to bite the bullet and figure out how to make crossing gates work with the system on some of the major intersections if drivers don't learn. It shouldn't be necessary, but drivers have proven time and again they are awful and cannot handle basic rules.

I don't understand why peace officers aren't sitting at the no right on red signs along the LRT and the bike lanes. Easy red light fines...
Probably because of the number of officers and locations that would be involved. Enforcement of anything is a problem which is why as the city adds more complexity and rules, more get ignored.

No right turns are fairly new here and only common in certain areas of the city, so some people who do not regularly travel in these areas and may be distracted by other things may not realize they can not turn right on red.

We need on going PSAs, an education campaign and I feel a crossing arm that comes down at major intersections. Hopefully over time the messages will get through to everyone.

I drove by the SE part of the line the other day and was reminded: wasn’t the steel belts around the piers supposed to be temporary? I wonder if we will ever get a permanent solution? It’s been almost 2 years since they were installed.

I can't believe how many bad drivers are out there. The other day I watched as a woman struggled to pull her vehicle into a Costco (!!!) parking spot and had to rely on guidance from a group of people—jerking back and forth and slamming on her brakes each time. This woman was not trying to back in, she was literally struggling to pull forward into an oversized Costco spot with a child in her back seat. People crash into the LRT because they are terrible drivers and somehow are still able to get a license.

Heard today that VL lrt ridership makes up 0.4% of all transit usage in Edmonton.

I wonder what the city's targets are?

Last edited:
Heard today that VL lrt ridership makes up 0.4% of all transit usage in Edmonton.

I wonder what the city's targets are?
Interesting stat. Looks like all of ETS had 5.3 million trips in May 2024 which means 212,000 trips on Valley line for an average of 6839 riders per day.

0.04 = 4%.

The ridership for VLSE is over 200k/ day.

What Coun. Tang was told today at executive committee is that valley line ridership is a "very, very small percentage" of overall numbers. That it's 0.4%. Not 4%.

Tang then asked if ridership numbers are based on tapping ARC card, thinking the number is artificially low because people aren't tapping. However, she was told the numbers are from APC - automated passenger counters on the trains, and so the numbers aren't being under-reported.

Last edited:
I can't believe how many bad drivers are out there. The other day I watched as a woman struggled to pull her vehicle into a Costco (!!!) parking spot and had to rely on guidance from a group of people—jerking back and forth and slamming on her brakes each time. This woman was not trying to back in, she was literally struggling to pull forward into an oversized Costco spot with a child in her back seat. People crash into the LRT because they are terrible drivers and somehow are still able to get a license.
And I mean, no right on red signs are fairly obvious if you're paying attention.

Back