Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

"In an update on Monday morning, Marigold Infrastructure Partners said that while the work that was scheduled to be done by the end of August will be completed on schedule, the company will keep the roadway closed “to accelerate additional work and help minimize impacts on Edmontonians in 2025.”
Clearly they are not on schedule, no other reason for the delay, just like damn TransEd schedules...

Clearly they are not on schedule, no other reason for the delay, just like damn TransEd schedules...
Chill. They said the work scheduled for this year will be done by the end of August. The bridge won’t be open until November as per schedule so they are doing remedial work and completing work scheduled for next year to minimize disruptions next year.

Chill. They said the work scheduled for this year will be done by the end of August. The bridge won’t be open until November as per schedule so they are doing remedial work and completing work scheduled for next year to minimize disruptions next year.
Oh I'm chill, just colour me jaded about timelines and completion dates, they seem to be variable...

And full disclosure is another issue, as TransEd knew about the piers at least 2 months before they were forced to admit a problem.

Besides, how could we tell if any "extra work" being done past the end of August is indeed "extra" and not part of the August cut off date...

Given past lengthy, unexpected delays with LRT and other major projects there is not much trust in the city now by many to either manage such projects well or up date us promptly.

Oh I'm chill, just colour me jaded about timelines and completion dates, they seem to be variable...

And full disclosure is another issue, as TransEd knew about the piers at least 2 months before they were forced to admit a problem.

Besides, how could we tell if any "extra work" being done past the end of August is indeed "extra" and not part of the August cut off date...
Wait until you find out about how variable construction of a nearly $3B mega project is. The scope and scale of this project is massive, schedules are likely to change over time. Take for example the large utility relocation and replacement that MIP had to carry out last summer- who could have predicted that when the schedule was first conceptualized? It’s hard to make time back when you need to do all that extra work you never planned for.
But I’d like to note that MIP said back in December 2022 that the bridge would be open by fall 2024, so technically they are still on schedule for that.

On Cartmell's press release: "That list continues to growth with the recently revealed significant cost overruns on the South LRT extension and the projected delays on the Valley Line West."
Sean while you are at it, I have a couple questions about this for the Councilor. First of all, were those cost overruns on the South LRT actually borne by the city, or is he mischaracterizing this?

Second, about the Valley Line West, can he provide us any further supporting information about projected delays?

I realize he is a politician who may be considering further ambitions now, so his comments at this point really deserve careful scrutiny

I ain't gonna lie, I'm starting to feel the construction fatigue and kind of agree with Cartmell. Henday expansion is done, and Terwillegar Drive/Whitemud, Valley Line, Yellowhead, 50th Street grade separation, Jasper Ave and most of the Capital Line South extension are all set to wrap up by ~2028, along with a lot of bridge/park rehabs and a decent chunk of redevelopment in Blatchford. At that point, I think we need to just give it a ~3-year break on major city-spanning capital projects.

Sure, continue the neighbourhood/alley renewals, and the odd road-widening here and there (looking at you, Ellerslie Rd by Chappelle and Winterburn Rd/Whitemud), but man, this has been a lot of construction, all while under a lot of budgetary pressure.

Metro Line Extension to Castle Downs should start after 2030.

First of all, were those cost overruns on the South LRT actually borne by the city, or is he mischaracterizing this?
Yes, because he is referencing the SLRT to Heritage Valley, not the VLSE to Mill Woods. VLSE any cost overruns would have been TransEd's problem.

I ain't gonna lie, I'm starting to feel the construction fatigue and kind of agree with Cartmell. Henday expansion is done, and Terwillegar Drive/Whitemud, Valley Line, Yellowhead, 50th Street grade separation, Jasper Ave and most of the Capital Line South extension are all set to wrap up by ~2028, along with a lot of bridge/park rehabs and a decent chunk of redevelopment in Blatchford. At that point, I think we need to just give it a ~3-year break on major city-spanning capital projects.

Sure, continue the neighbourhood/alley renewals, and the odd road-widening here and there (looking at you, Ellerslie Rd by Chappelle and Winterburn Rd/Whitemud), but man, this has been a lot of construction, all while under a lot of budgetary pressure.

Metro Line Extension to Castle Downs should start after 2030.
The bridge over CN’s walker yard itself will be over a billion. With federal and provincial parties strapping down funding, I’m not sure I see that project happening soon

Back