Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I drove the Glenora SPR section of the alignment yesterday. There were some concerns about the curves in the roadway on here when I posted photos a short time ago.

After driving it, I found the curves and width of the road to be extremely appropriate for the area and designed speed limit. In a sedan I felt that I had plenty of space, but I didn't want to drive any faster than 35-40 due to the curves. This section of roadway gets a big thumbs up from me. I would much rather own a home on SPR than 102 ave now.

I drove the Glenora SPR section of the alignment yesterday. There were some concerns about the curves in the roadway on here when I posted photos a short time ago.

After driving it, I found the curves and width of the road to be extremely appropriate for the area and designed speed limit. In a sedan I felt that I had plenty of space, but I didn't want to drive any faster than 35-40 due to the curves. This section of roadway gets a big thumbs up from me. I would much rather own a home on SPR than 102 ave now.
Yes. Growing up on Stony Plain Road you do get used to the drone of the traffic but when the J2 started that would sure rattle the house. And when the Rebels had a clubhouse on Stony Plain Road and 125 Street they sure would make a lot of noise. I think the new Stony Plain Road in Glenora is a huge improvement.

CC9EF7E3-E1DD-4ECD-83B7-66AA61FE3561.jpeg

I realize you can't always stop things from happening, but you have to deal with them fairly quickly and if you notice a recurring problem develop a plan to be responsive.

Throwing up our hands and saying it is happening everywhere, which may be somewhat true, does not help and really only leads to things persisting and getting worse.

People start feeling unsafe and places become even more unsafe if safety is not actively maintained. This is new infrastructure but if it is the environment around kept up, things may go downhill quickly.

McFee also said there would be zero tolerance on these activities a few months ago.

Then they got the funding formula and the salary settlement? Pilot project to bring Sheriffs to patrol? The former cafe space being turned into a patrol hub? We can throw so much resources at this but I genuinely don’t have any expectations at this point for EPS on this, they’ve consistently been disappointing on downtown and transit in general.

I’ve seen more Peace Officer presence than literally ever in the last few weeks (which is great to see) so hopefully this gets tackled. I’m consistently surprised they don’t have as much presence on Churchill itself.

Of course it is….for some reason addicts love shooting up on our city’s transportation infrastructure……it’s happening in every city
Almost like they have no place to go. Spend all the money you want on enforcement and unless you are willing to haul everyone to jail (Edmonton Remand is already the largest prison in Canada) then you are just moving the problem around. Push them out of transit and they will be in business entryways.

Until people have a place to go its just an endless game of whack-a-mole on the taxpayer dime.

Almost like they have no place to go. Spend all the money you want on enforcement and unless you are willing to haul everyone to jail (Edmonton Remand is already the largest prison in Canada) then you are just moving the problem around. Push them out of transit and they will be in business entryways.

Until people have a place to go it’s just an endless game of whack-a-mole on the taxpayer dime.
It’s been a while for me but I remember seeing and having conversations with researchers and advocates in university about this whole situation, and how they were clearly raising the alarm bells about how if we continued on our current policy trajectory (essentially the beginning of the Jason Kenney policies) then the opioid crisis would expand with public spaces and transit being the most susceptible spaces to be affected.

This was in 2019. They ended up being absolutely right, with the situation being aggravated heavily by COVID. I remember them being ridiculed for fear-mongering by pundits and governing figures for their warnings and now 5 years later, we’re dealing with that shortsightedness.

I’ve been vocal here about my experience on the Valley Line when I take it during off peak hours and how sketchy it is at times and how safe it is at other times. Presence and enforcement helps but it doesn’t address the fact that with less safe consumption sites available, lowered shelter space and all the rest, it’s just gonna be shuffled on a cycle over and over again.

Back