Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

At least with the SE line, it’s more geared to residential areas. Ridership will rise with more residential construction.
I know we are realistically still quite a ways away from all the TOD projects alongside the SE line but yes imagine when even just 2 of Strathearn/Holyrood/Bonnie Doon/Millwoods build themselves out, ridership will increase greatly.

Regarding WEM I always park near the Simons, usually not too packed and a quick exit out as well :)

Not sure which day it was since I was last on the VLSE on Tuesday when all schools were still out, but, by today all trains are now 2 cars, increased from alternating 1 car/ 2 car trains we saw for the first week and into this week. I assume weekends will remain the 1/2 split. Wouldn't be surprised to see them even drop to single cars on Sunday's in the future, depending upon season and events.

One thing with the interaction with traffic signals for this line, if a train is late, you're getting stopped. I've been on, and observed a few trains now delayed out of Mill Woods (not "Millwoods"), even only by a minute which then meant getting stopped at 28 Ave, the Fire station, 31 Ave.
One interesting scenario I observed today, a train seemed delayed out of Mill Woods. The proceed signal for 28 Ave had been in place for quite some time. Upon approach, the proceed signal started to flash (like a flashing pedestrian signal) so the train started to slow down to stop. It however then went solid again so the train was able to carry on. That didn't help it at the fire station crossing though and it came to a stop there. So, it does seem that signals can be reset by an approaching train.
In another instance we were stopped at 34 Ave and after that we were stopped at every crossing until we were probably synced correctly at the Woodvale stop.

As a pedestrian, I was trying to cross 28 Ave at the Burger King crossing. I couldn't see it, but I knew a train was approaching as the pedestrian stop signal recycled to a go signal and the light for 28 Ave traffic stayed green. This was annoying as a pedestrian being stuck waiting the extra time. Surely we could have been given a walk signal. It's a quick light. 15 second countdown or so. Besides, it's not like the green light helps westbound traffic because the train is crossing 28 Ave half a block away, and because of that there's no eastbound traffic that can benefit from the green light.

Not sure which day it was since I was last on the VLSE on Tuesday when all schools were still out, but, by today all trains are now 2 cars, increased from alternating 1 car/ 2 car trains we saw for the first week and into this week. I assume weekends will remain the 1/2 split. Wouldn't be surprised to see them even drop to single cars on Sunday's in the future, depending upon season and events.

One thing with the interaction with traffic signals for this line, if a train is late, you're getting stopped. I've been on, and observed a few trains now delayed out of Mill Woods (not "Millwoods"), even only by a minute which then meant getting stopped at 28 Ave, the Fire station, 31 Ave.
One interesting scenario I observed today, a train seemed delayed out of Mill Woods. The proceed signal for 28 Ave had been in place for quite some time. Upon approach, the proceed signal started to flash (like a flashing pedestrian signal) so the train started to slow down to stop. It however then went solid again so the train was able to carry on. That didn't help it at the fire station crossing though and it came to a stop there. So, it does seem that signals can be reset by an approaching train.
In another instance we were stopped at 34 Ave and after that we were stopped at every crossing until we were probably synced correctly at the Woodvale stop.

As a pedestrian, I was trying to cross 28 Ave at the Burger King crossing. I couldn't see it, but I knew a train was approaching as the pedestrian stop signal recycled to a go signal and the light for 28 Ave traffic stayed green. This was annoying as a pedestrian being stuck waiting the extra time. Surely we could have been given a walk signal. It's a quick light. 15 second countdown or so. Besides, it's not like the green light helps westbound traffic because the train is crossing 28 Ave half a block away, and because of that there's no eastbound traffic that can benefit from the green light.

Just reinforces my thoughts that we really need to bite the bullet and just install crossing gates at all intersections south of Davies Station, then raise the speed limit to 70 km/h. The slow speeds work fine north of Davies, where the right of way is small and it’s all local roads, but south of Davies, it basically runs like Capital Line. Might shave off 5-10 minutes and also draw people out of their cars seeing the train outpace them.

Just reinforces my thoughts that we really need to bite the bullet and just install crossing gates at all intersections south of Davies Station, then raise the speed limit to 70 km/h. The slow speeds work fine north of Davies, where the right of way is small and it’s all local roads, but south of Davies, it basically runs like Capital Line. Might shave off 5-10 minutes and also draw people out of their cars seeing the train outpace them.
It wouldn't shave off more than 5 minutes, at an unnecessary cost.

I just drove the VLW alignment. I'm happy to see the progress on the guideways, this time next year I'm assuming it'll be completed.

I'm not a fan of keeping traffic along the ground level areas of the alignment, though. It seems like the construction delays are largely a result of the insistence on keeping vehicle traffic flowing through a construction zone. What was done along the Glenora SPR area should have been done across the whole alignment. Kick out the cars until construction is completed.

I'd be interested in knowing what portion of the budget goes to traffic control. Seems like a ton of fat that could be cut, along with improved timelines.

Honestly, just gonna ignore your posts from now on.
I don't have the energy to even discuss over top-notch arguments like this.
Ditto.

Glenora SPR photo from today.
PXL_20231118_190357961.MP.jpg

Back