Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

can't even get to work on time from Belvedere, one of the original four stations. I start at 9:30 am, and the trains only run on a 15 minute frequency at this time on a weekday, which is unacceptable for a city of Edmonton's size. For every 3 trains going to Clareview in the morning, there is only one going downtown. At night, for every 3 trains going downtown, there is only one northbound to Clareview. Unacceptable, especially when one considers that Clareview is the city's busiest LRT station. It feels like priority is being given to the south leg of the Capital line as well as the Metro line. I've raised the issue with ETS and instead of providing me with a valid explanation for the delays (and frequently broken escalators on the station platforms), their response was something to the effect of "we are as frustrated as you are that our LRT system is predominantly above-ground and therefore subject to many unforeseeable delays of all types."

Some days I will miss my morning train by 2 minutes, and then the next day I will run 1 km from home in -20C weather to get there 2 minutes early, just in case, and that day it will be 7 minutes late. It's getting to the point where commuting on ETS is greatly affecting my quality and enjoyment of life, and yet prices will continue to increase. :mad:

It's no longer fun, and it's no longer funny.
I sympathize with @.crystalised. -- when I lived in Germany (surface trains by the way) you could set your watch by the accuracy of arrivals and departures of trains. If the train was scheduled to arrive at 13:57, then at 13:56 you could see it pulling into the station; if it was scheduled to leave at 14:10, then you better not be there at 14:11 unless you had exceptional sprint skills and no luggage so that you could grab onto the step-rails of the last passenger car. I know there is a dichotomy between an artful world and an engineered perspective, but when it comes to trains and their schedules, one should not have to guess re arrivals and departures particularly relative to inclement weather. How hard can it be to make this work?! (rhetorical)

Well, it isn't too bad of you're trying to head southbound, at least from downtown on. Heading north to NAIT or Clareview though? God have mercy on your soul.
Yeah, exactly. It's as if ETS said "to hell with the original four stations and anybody who tries to commute there, they're not important anymore!!! On to newer and flashier stations!"

How hard can it be to make this work?! (rhetorical)
ETS:
giphy.gif

Everybody Else:
giphy.gif

2nd half of the 2nd tier cable stays installed. That's about a 10 day pace, roughly 2 months until they are up, mid-May? Looks like they have 5 more to go.

McNalley walk 4pm 2020-03-16 007.JPG

The render from the Trans Ed site, posted below, illustrates 5 cable stays in total. I think it will look great with a couple of extras (if that's the case), but I would hope a render should be a realistic and truthful document.
1584454961154.png

Ya, it looks like they made space for 7 cables. Interesting. Either way, it's going to look awesome. Thanks for the close up pic. The only other time I get to see this bridge is way in the background of the skycam shot from atop Manulife place on Global morning news. I don't even hear what Sobel's saying, I just try to get a good look at the bridge. ? I'm such a nerd.

Your right @Daveography, I had forgotten that. I wonder if any significant change to my favourite component, the pedestrian walkway & I hope they are still on track to start that this fall. Beautiful bridge.

@Kaizen Remember they basically had to redesign the bridge after finding that concrete mass in the river. I'm not sure they ever revealed updated renders or details about what design changes were made.
^ "For safety", probably.

I'm still dubious about this "concrete mass" - nobody knows where it came from or how it got there - allegedly. Wouldn't the citizens of this city notice if somebody poured a car-sized slab of concrete into the river at some point in history? TransEd is treating that as a rhetorical question but it deserves to be answered.

I just hope once complete that either TransEd or the city reinstate the beautiful wild rose garden that was bulldozed to make way for the bridge construction.

Last edited:

Back