Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Maybe they could grow vines on the sides of the building with all the wood. If the vines grow and hide the building it would be better. If the vines work we have a solution for the exterior of the Library.
Actually not a bad idea, I had thought of that too. At least it is good to see they are trying to do something to improve it.

Pics from this afternoon, screening being installed on the "shed".
View attachment 387176View attachment 387175View attachment 387174
Call Me crazy, but I don't think this building is that big of a deal. Yeah it's obtrusive to those specific lower units on that building which is unfortunate, but it's not like they built a tower blocking everyone's view.
Looks like the elevated section could be complete by the time the line gets out to the west end. The Henday crossing gets started this summer as well.
I mean, it'd have to be complete by the time the line gets there wouldn't it? 😆

I really hate to be the one that says this - but I’m honestly scared for this stop. If you don’t think the area looks sketchy enough in the photos, just visit the area in person; it’s the definition of SKETCHY. I know the quarters area has seen some positive redevelopment in recent years and the LRT will certainly help support that, but it’s got a long, long way to go. With all the bad rep ETS has gotten lately in regards to safety, especially on the LRT, I really hope the city has a good plan for security at this stop. If not, then the better design choice might have been to just skip this stop all together, sadly. If the city is under the impression that this stop is going to look exactly like it does in the project renderings with tons of families and yuppy bystanders with gourmet coffees, sunshine and rainbows - all without dedicated security - they are sadly mistaken.

You have the right to boil the many complex and interlinked issues present in this area of the city as "sketchiness", but I personally think there's something more to say here. This new LRT stop is a facet in how the city is trying to change The Quarters and "make it better", however the meaning of "making it better" I believe changes depending on who you talk to and who the change affects. From what the city has shown us (i.e. renderings, concepts, etc.), bringing on lots of new development and projects and making the Quarters into a "cultural district" of sorts appears to be the goal. This is nice idea however the effect of this is inevitable gentrification and displacement of existing residents unless the city takes active steps to slow the rise of housing prices and keep supports in the vicinity. Some outside citizens would say that's a good thing and that the area should be completely changed, while simply just moving the "problem" somewhere else (likely farther north). Some existing residents would rather the area not change much at all so they aren't forced to leave the neighborhood they knew for their entire lives.

I don't have a solution (very few of us do), I just want to see this area become more livable and nice for everyone, not just for new residents with more money.

Last edited:
You have the right to boil the many complex and interlinked issues present in this area of the city as "sketchiness", but I personally think there's something more to say here. This new LRT stop is a facet in how the city is trying to change The Quarters and "make it better", however the meaning of "making it better" I believe changes depending on who you talk to and who the change affects. From what the city has shown us (i.e. renderings, concepts, etc.), bringing on lots of new development and projects and making the Quarters into a "cultural district" of sorts appears to be the goal. This is nice idea however the effect of this is inevitable gentrification and displacement of existing residents unless the city takes active steps to slow the rise of housing prices and keep supports in the vicinity. Some outside citizens would say that's a good thing and that the area should be completely changed, while simply just moving the "problem" somewhere else (likely farther north). Some existing residents would rather the area not change much at all so they aren't forced to leave the neighborhood they new for their entire lives.

I don't have a solution (very few of us do), I just want to see this area become more livable and nice for everyone, not just for new residents with more money.
Some good points here. It is possible that more steady traffic that the LRT will bring will reduce the sketchiness. Various things contribute to the sketchiness feel, but I feel the big ones are the area is fairly dead and there is not much street retail.

As for gentrification, I don't feel that should be a big concern in this particular area. Yes, there is some affordable and low income housing in this area, but something like Melcor Village is not likely to be converted to luxury condos. However, there are many empty lots and under utilized street front spaces. So actually a lot of development could happen in this area without much displacement. The addition of more people and activity could actually also be beneficial for those living in the area.

More use, people, eyes on the street will be very beneficial to the area. I used to chat with business owners and apartment owners in the area and the stuff they were dealing with on the street on a daily (if not hourly basis at times) was insane. How they stay sane sometimes amazes me.

You have the right to boil the many complex and interlinked issues present in this area of the city as "sketchiness", but I personally think there's something more to say here. This new LRT stop is a facet in how the city is trying to change The Quarters and "make it better", however the meaning of "making it better" I believe changes depending on who you talk to and who the change affects. From what the city has shown us (i.e. renderings, concepts, etc.), bringing on lots of new development and projects and making the Quarters into a "cultural district" of sorts appears to be the goal. This is nice idea however the effect of this is inevitable gentrification and displacement of existing residents unless the city takes active steps to slow the rise of housing prices and keep supports in the vicinity. Some outside citizens would say that's a good thing and that the area should be completely changed, while simply just moving the "problem" somewhere else (likely farther north). Some existing residents would rather the area not change much at all so they aren't forced to leave the neighborhood they new for their entire lives.

Gentrification concerns are overstated. The majority of the land in the quarters is gravel parking lot. There aren't very many apartments at all.

Existing residents will be happy the area is less sketchy and owners will appreciate the higher property values that come with it.

If any of the renters that live in the quarters are displaced, it's not the end of the world because there is a ton of affordable housing just a couple blocks away, and all around the city. This isn't Vancouver or Toronto.

The literal homeless people should be distributed to shelters and affordable housing throughout the city so we don't develop a violent ghetto where drug dealers know to congregate.

If a neighborhood in a city as affordable as Edmonton is even cheaper because people are afraid to live there, that's a bad thing. Full stop. Everyone is better off if the area gets cleaned up.

Last edited:
They must have been testing the full length of the system at full speed yesterday. I was getting takeout from Double Greeting near the Quarters stop and managed to only get a crappy shot.
DSCN9183.JPG

While stopped at the 82Ave & 83st lights (with flaggers still, train crossing against signals) saw her pass by again. I noticed the metal fencing that runs the full length of the Bonnie Doon mall parking is close to being completed.
DSCN9185.JPG
DSCN9186.JPG

Back