Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

"Valley Line LRT requires additional $7.2 million over next three years to meet ridership demand"

I'm betting it was bad forecasting done early on, and/or the left hand not talking to the right in terms of the LRT project team not being aware of the BNR team routing a bunch of new routes onto the LRT in larger volumes than the previous network would have. I can easily conceive of how an oversight like that would happen, given how the projects are being managed so separately from one another; but that doesn't make it any less frustrating that the (presumably very extensive) demand forecasting and trip planning done by the BNR team wasn't used to inform Valley Line decisions.
This article doesn't have a lot of actual data or sources in it, and the journalist didn't post anything on twitter about this. a cursory google search brought up nothing current, just the EJ article and content from the line's approval in 2016. one thing to note from that content is that ridership is usally listed around 30-35k a day, whereas more current content lists 45-50k. I mean, it's all just press stuff, not technical content or official numbers, but it indicates how predictions have been... 'fluid' throughout the planning process.
I do think this line is gonna be surprisingly well-used; i know next to nothing about how to forecast ridership but the most recent numbers (from Daveography's Q and A post a couple months ago) of 45k people a day on opening day for just this leg sounds reasonable. Covid may change that for the first year or two, but as patterns and routines adjust i think this will be well-used.

Well considering that ETS has essentially eliminated every route from Millwoods to downtown and created routes to feed the LRT to be the main route to downtown, it's no surprise this announcement was made.

One way to solve this issue is to uncancel the #81 and have the #8 continue its route as it is, or slightly modified.

I remember thinking a couple years ago that 26 trains wouldn't be enough, and that we'd probably need to be running all two-car consists at peak right from the get-go. I think with even half the trains being two cars, people wanting to board at Bonnie Doon and north will be experiencing pass-by in the morning. Covid may have dropped demand a bit, but it also means that crowding is something we would want to be avoiding. I think they underestimated opening day demand from the start with this line.

Maybe it's just me or partly the way this story is written but I find this article confusing - we need an extra $7.2 million to accommodate a ridership level that wasn't initially expected for 22 years! And the city is coming to that conclusion now?

I don't think it is just you, that is how I read it too. Somehow they just figured that out now. What were they in a rip van winkle state for the last several years and suddenly just came to this realization?

From yesterday afternoon around Churchill station.
2021-04-02 085.JPG2021-04-02 111.JPG2021-04-02 229.JPG2021-04-02 273.JPG2021-04-02 271.JPG

Register for Valley Line Southeast's Virtual Open Houses
Join us for an opportunity to get project updates, learn about upcoming construction in your area, train testing and commissioning, and ask questions during the Q&A session.

Can’t make it? Each session will be recorded and available on our website and YouTube channel.

66 Street
Wednesday, April 7
5-6:30 pm

83 Street
Monday, April 12

Strathearn and Holyrood
Tuesday, April 13

Riverdale and Cloverdale
Wednesday, April 14

Downtown
Monday, April 19

'End of the year'... so a full year behind?

I was told July/Aug/Sept last fall and that was taking COVID into consideration.

At this point I am not sure it really matters, but to miss Sept 1 is disappointing.

The LRT has five good months of spring/summer weather. I can see some things take tome like concrete or track laying. If the project was 87.5% done at Christmas, and all of the train cars have been delivered, what is holding up TransEd?

Back