Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
The building itself was demolished, no work was done to the foundation, in some areas the existing floor is still there, rubble all over the site has gone untouched, the rebar has not been grinded, cut or even capped for impalement, concrete jersey barriers are fenced off for some reason, some steel is still present laying around and in some areas the chain link fence is leaning over. If I didn't know this was downtown Edmonton and someone showed me this I would believe that could very well be a picture of some third world countries.

The media have a role to play and need to do their job - informing Edmontonians of the disregard by this developer at the Emerald site and former BMO site - what is expected to be done and why is has not been. This deserves some investigative reporting and exposing this developer to public scrutiny,

I sent some of the info we've been talking about here including a cbc story done last year on the ugly and disgusting Emerald site to Keith Gerein of the Edmonton Journal. Hopefully he will follow up and do some digging - especially with Iveson's motion upcoming.

If the media were to do another story, I suppose it would look almost the same as last year, except because of the dry summer the pond and the ducks are gone.

So, unfortunately I doubt the media will bother. However, if a bunch of people from the area were to show up with signs protesting, that might be a different story.

Permanent fencing is going up this week. Still an eyesore but at least this will not blow over.

101.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say that this is very strange. I heard that BoM had a floor vault in the basement (rare but not that unusual) and the money missing from their exiting tally was in the millions. Rumor has it that it is still there under all of that rubble. Obviously the demo contractor didn't hear the rumor and the developer is oblivious to it.

I have to say that this is very strange. I heard that BoM had a floor vault in the basement (rare but not that unusual) and the money missing from their exiting tally was in the millions. Rumor has it that it is still there under all of that rubble. Obviously the demo contractor didn't hear the rumor and the developer is oblivious to it.

Thanks for that info, archited - now there may be a few people hunting for that jackpot on the Tower 101 site!

This is almost as disturbing as the rubble.. The signage is ridiculous. A big RBC sign with CIty Center being the secondary above it Come.on...really? Showcase the main property first and foremost. :rolleyes: (@Airboy hope you don't mind the crop)

101.jpg

101.jpg

That whole building is the Edmonton City Centre RBC didn't you know? 😏
Yes, it looks strange. I think history explains, although does not justify it. As I recall ATB had its branch nearby and signage here for a long time. Then, ATB moved upstairs and I assume no longer wanted the signage, as their branch was now further away, so I think RBC just took the signage spot when they moved in. Of course, their branch is upstairs and not adjacent to the signage either, so it is a bit confusing and seems to overwhelm the mall signage. Yes, they have a fair sized branch here, but it is not that big.

Back