Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
locally we would have edmonton's city hall
nationally we would have the canadian museum of civilization
internationally we would have everything from the louvre's pyramid to prague's dancing house to germany's vitra fire station to the seagram building...
as for trends and items with long-lived impact, they might not be fashion per se but the '80's also gave us dna, personal computers, mobile phones, walkmans, gameboys, and the space shuttle as well as big hair and ripped jeans.
The 80s were awesome for science and technology, they also gave some interesting buildings, but I'll pass on the ripped jeans and poodle hair, hahahahahahahahahahaha

Well designed brutalism is beautiful! ❤️
Also, it's not like the 80s had brilliant architecture (or any fashion/design trend for that matter).
You have proven my point, that people can't seem to see the attractiveness in 20-40 yr old architecture. When it starts to get 60, 70 years old, then people start to appreciate it. The 1980s architecture will be no different. The 1980s pomo trend will be seen in 100 years as really unique and beautiful, I'll bet on that.

^ this is one of the worst losses recently, not to mention how much night life New City added and what replaced it. crazy we have lost 2 beautiful BMO buildings recently.

323257-Large-fullheightview-spring-morning-from-above-to-the-northwest.jpg

from http://www.emporis.com

I hope a lot more is done to improve that site once VLW is open (which, unfortunately, gives Regency plenty of time)

I hope a lot more is done to improve that site once VLW is open (which, unfortunately, gives Regency plenty of time)
Well supposedly to open this summer in just several months, if you can believe it will not be not delayed further.

locally we would have edmonton's city hall
nationally we would have the canadian museum of civilization
internationally we would have everything from the louvre's pyramid to prague's dancing house to germany's vitra fire station to the seagram building...

The Seagram in Manhattan is mid to late 50s. I thought the dancing house was mid 90s. We don't hear much about 80's architecture but appreciation for modernism was perhaps making a comeback and exploded in the 90s with Foster, Gehry, Herzog and de Meuron, Hadid, etc.

The Seagram in Manhattan is mid to late 50s. I thought the dancing house was mid 90s. We don't hear much about 80's architecture but appreciation for modernism was perhaps making a comeback and exploded in the 90s with Foster, Gehry, Herzog and de Meuron, Hadid, etc.
brain cramp on the seagrams building - i think i transposed ‘58 to ‘85. the dancing house was built in the early’90’s but i believe the design dates from the ’80’s (as edgy as it looks in photographs, it’s surprising how well it “fits” its streetscapes when seen in person).

From my remembrance the 80s were the culmination of the post-modern era when architects were fishing around for "what comes next?" and "is this all there is?"... a kind of in-between phase, architecturally speaking.
.. and Canada Place here in Edmonton.

Is that all there is, is that all there is? If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing.

I suppose we are post post-modern now.

Still one of my favourite buildings because it's so different from everything else. I do wish they'd finish it, but I guess that ship has sailed.
It's still a tragedy that half of the original Chinatown was demolished for its construction though. There were plenty of surface parking lots that the Feds could have purchased to build it at the time.

I love the interior - its what a public office building should have - volume.
I was in the building for the first time last week. As much as I dislike the exterior, the interior is great, I like the amount of light inside, the plants, even the brick everywhere is not something very usual. Given our weather it is nice to have all those services in a big building with enough space to wait inside.

Haven't heard anything about this project - the last post on this was Oct 9.
Would it be too much to hope that the podium of the new tower can resemble the late lamented Tegler?

25623-89367.jpg
Well, if the people who build the building are still Regency then no, because doing something like that would require an ounce of creativity and respect for the city you develop in.

If the site is sold, maybe it could happen 🤷‍♂️

Back