The Mercury Block | 21.7m | 6s

Why is that?
Seems like value engineering to me. If I was a prospective resident, I'd be a little disappointed I couldn't sit on a balcony, overlooking the plaza in a wind-free environment. I think a lot of people would be attracted by having a balcony facing the plaza. By no means a dealbreaker for this building being an architectural success, but does come across as a little cheap. Even the Ancient Romans had balconies, as per the photo above :)

Concrete poured
IMG_2445.jpeg

Some notes from the UDI Oliverbahn tour yesterday. I’ll share some pictures my buddy took soon too.

1. The courtyard is awesome. Most surprising aspect was the noise dampening. It’s got me sold on how whyte, Jasper, etc could benefit a lot from this form to create quieter pockets for patios and retail.

2. The windows and outside look ok, but sounds like they were a value engineering reality of covid times. Original plan was a tower too.

3. They have active negotiations on ALL CRUs currently. So hopefully some more announcements soon on who will join coffee bureau and kb &co.

4. Mercury block 2 will likely be renamed, but is getting going on demolition and will be the exact same as this building, just a flipped orientation (U shaped opening currently faces east. Next time it’ll be west).

5. The have purchased the apartments on the 3rd corner of that intersection. So SE of this one, and south of the church. Sounds like that could potentially be more like a tower vs the 2 mercury’s.

Overall, very excited for this project.

Sweet Jesus, West Oliver just keeps getting better and better! I'm so amazed at how this entire area has completely transformed in the last 6 years alone. This is what momentum looks like, and I hope it keeps going and spreading.

Agreed. I just hope that Jasper/123 goes forward and that we see additional density added east and west of 124st from Jasper to 111 Avenue to support a more vibrant street, as it still is not quite there.

That one glaring hole irks me the most right now. Those buildings didn't need to be demolished yet.

This reminds me. Has anyone heard anything about the sale of the building and land on the corner of 124 & Jasper?

Agreed. I just hope that Jasper/123 goes forward and that we see additional density added east and west of 124st from Jasper to 111 Avenue to support a more vibrant street, as it still is not quite there.
A few 4-8 story buildings right on 124st will do so much for it. I bet we see 1 in the next few years at least.

Seems like value engineering to me. If I was a prospective resident, I'd be a little disappointed I couldn't sit on a balcony, overlooking the plaza in a wind-free environment. I think a lot of people would be attracted by having a balcony facing the plaza. By no means a dealbreaker for this building being an architectural success, but does come across as a little cheap. Even the Ancient Romans had balconies, as per the photo above :)
And so what if it is 'value-engineering'. If a balcony is important to a particular tenant they they'll make the choice to rent it. If not, then they'll be fine with a juliette. Personal choice.

Some people really like balconies, for others it doesn't really matter much. I used to live in a building where there were fairly big balconies that oddly very few people used.

Back