The MacLaren | 85.04m | 27s | Edgar | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yep, that's it @StopDropandLOL -- still standing after all these years! Love that clinker brick! I'm happy to hear that the project afforded you some inspiration. We will be back in Edmonton in a major way next year. One of our Edmonton projects collapsed when the client died suddenly from a heart attack -- Cody Hodgson -- Cody was First Nations from Enoch, an athlete in his 40s -- very sad loss! We will be looking to create a major impact on downtown Retail and Hospitality starting in 2020.

This was the building in question. I remember running through here as a child and loving it. It was like a really fancy house that was converted into office space, and I remember how warm the materials were inside and it really gave me a sense of comfort. My Dad and I would come on a Saturday when it was empty and he would do repair work and I would play. It really was a catalyst for my love of Architecture.

View attachment 218272

I walk by this building every day now since I live in the area. Good job utilizing the clinker bricks on that one!

And yes Archited, Wayne Scott is a great name for an architect haha. There's another cedar plank building (Place 110) on the NW corner of 100 Ave and 110 street. Was this one also designed by you guys?

Screenshot_20191203-151000_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Yes @Grandinite -- these projects were fun. Most of the bones were already there; we simply had to think "adaptive use", do a few pop-outs, extend some roof lines, focus on dramatic entry and voila! Kinda formula architecture of a certain kind. If it is still there (and it ought to be), the building pictured above had an incredible boardroom wall done end-to-end in book-matched zebra-wood. We hand-picked the flitches from a local exotic lumber supplier and laid them out on the floor before having them laminated into plywood panels; we then had this incredible Millworker -- Dale Fleischman (memory is working again) -- join them, so that you could not find the joints, into one continuous wall feature. I think the end result was 25 or 30-feet long. Once clear-stained in a gloss finish it was otherworldly. The finished product caused me to stare at it continuously for (it must have been) 1/2 a day. Anyway, you and @StopDropandLOL have caused me to take an afternoon trip down memory lane.

Last edited:
Yes @Grandinite -- these projects were fun. Most of the bones were already there; we simply had to think "adaptive use", do a few pop-outs, extend some roof lines, focus on dramatic entry and voila! Kinda formula architecture of a certain kind. If it is still there (and it ought to be), the building pictured above had an incredible boardroom wall done end-to-end in book-matched zebra-wood. We hand-picked the flitches from a local exotic lumber supplier and laid them out on the floor before having them laminated into plywood panels; we then had this incredible Millworker -- Dale (something or other) -- join them, so that you could not find the joints, into one continuous wall feature. I think the end result was 25 or 30-feet long. Once clear-stained in a gloss finish it was otherworldly. The finished product caused me to stare at it continuously for (it must have been) 1/2 a day. Anyway, you and @StopDropandLOL have caused me to take an afternoon trip down memory lane.

Well you'll be happy to know the building is still there, though they did make some alterations to it this past summer. There were 2 more diagonal cedar plank roofline extensions that extended to the ground. They appeared to be in poor shape (possibly rotting out) though so they ripped them out.

Thank you for the info on this one though. That does sound like it would look otherworldly!
When I lived on this street I often walked by this building wondering what it looked like on the inside. I can now somewhat visualize the interior based on what you said. Definitely one of the coolest buildings in the Grandin/Oliver area

Last edited:

Back