The Edmontonian | 277.96m | 71s | BCM | Hartwig

The render.

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at Monday Jul 27, 2015 2.35.50 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at Monday Jul 27, 2015 2.35.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at Monday Jul 27, 2015 2.35.50 PM.png
    315 KB · Views: 2,501
Any new news on the Edmontonian? I would love to see this join our skyline! I really hope it gets built!

Terry Hartwig was a classmate -- I'll try to find out where the project stands. I know that BCM was dealing with coal mine shaft mitigation on the "Corners" site -- it may be that there was reluctance to proceed based on unknown costs. It might have come down to an either/or outcome between the two projects -- all considered, similar in scale.

Direct from the horse's mouth -- the projects -- Edmontonian and the Corners -- have both been scrapped!!! Both had commendable designs -- too bad.

@Daveography -- I think you are right. No one challenged the coal mining story, so who knows? Edmonton substrata is one of the easiest structural mitigations in the world. I suspect that the oil glut and the subsequent tumbling prices for crude had a lot to do with the decision to stay the projects. Sometimes developers simply put up a design with concurrent renderings to promote their company; sometimes they go a step further and apply for a rezone simply to increase the value of their property. Construction documents were completed for Corners I, and excavation work was started; neither was done for Edmontonian. Terry did get some valuable PR out of the Edmontonian promotion. The City said that they had intense interest in the Corners property, but I haven't heard anything since about who might be stepping into the BCM shoes to spark a development where Corners was scheduled to go.

Any New updates for the Edmontonian in 2023?
Yup they’re just about to break ground on it next week! They’re actually building it in tandem with Aldritt Tower 😜

Edit: my apologies if this was a total A hole comment, I blame being stuck in camp 8 hours north of Edmonton for too long

Last edited:
Yup they’re just about to break ground on it next week! They’re actually building it in tandem with Aldritt Tower 😜

Edit: my apologies if this was a total A hole comment, I blame being stuck in camp 8 hours north of Edmonton for too long
8 HOURS NORTH OF EDMONTON? Thats just far.

8 hours north? I bitch at 5/5.5 Fort Mac, so where are you? Diamond mines?

Back