Strathearn Heights Redevelopment | 81m | ?s | Nearctic Group | GEC

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Ralph's and the rest of that strip mall appear to be fenced off when I drove past.

Currently a Strathearn Heights resident. Spoke with some of the leaseholders as the strip mall entered it's final days. The tenant in the artist's loft above Ralph's Handi-Mart alluded to the full redevelopment being "at least ten years out". Spoke to the owner of Ralph's as well. Dude was heartbroken.

Maybe somebody with experience on these projects can provide more details, but the impression from the community is that it's hit another snag and that the backers are focused on the strip-mall. As of now, progress demolishing the old strip mall has been very slow. A very small crew shows up every day and works from before sunrise to around mid-afternoon. Seems like they're just moving palettes around.

I will say that everyone who lives here doesn't want the project to go through - the original draft for the redevelopment had a "Habitat for Humanity"-esque provision wherein current renters could get a discounted suite for purchase, but all mentions of that were removed from the engagement plan. These buildings are home to poor, working families. The condition of each unit is more than a little ramshackle, but the swuare footage, location, community, and affordability are all unmatched.

The Strathearn Heights fifteen years ahead will bear no resemblance to the one I live in now. The developer needs to conduct a door-to-door engagement and develop a plan to relocate the residents or provide some form of guarantee / first bid on condo units. I'm following the redevelopment very closely and will continually update this thread with whatever I find out.

'The Strathearn Heights fifteen years ahead will bear no resemblance to the one I live in now.'

We said that very statement 15yrs ago with almost no change...

I'm going to be absolutely pissed if they don't move on construction soon after the demo. This area is hurting for amenities after losing so many top-notch ones in the last few years, most of them in this one strip.

DP. Undated:

To demolish the Strathearn Shopping Centre building
In Progress
9508 - 87 STREET NW

20230429_164516.jpg

20230429_164534.jpg

20230429_164637.jpg

20230429_164703.jpg

I recognize this is a project that has taken in excess of a decade to get to this point and can appreciate the extremely dynamic nature of development on this scale; but wow is it ever frustrating watching a community lose good amenities while the developer moves at a snail's pace. Been six months since demo commenced and not a single indication of further progress.

Is it really too much to ask developers to have some respect for the communities they choose to build in?

The Strathearn Heights development has been delayed more than three times: I moved to the neighbourhood in '83 when the first proposal was a HOT issue in the community. I personally sat through 3 complete re-designs over the last 40 years and it seems to me that the developer has a knack for gearing up to build just as interest rates spike. That appears to be the case now. Of the several annoying things about this project is that the City bent to the developer's wishes by locating the Strathearn LRT station directly in front of what will, eventually, be the commercial frontage. Then Councillor Henderson was spitting mad that the developer found every reason not to start construction after the City upheld their end of the (in camera) deal. Now, when, or if, construction does start, they will have to haul equipment and materials in by the much narrowed and newly paved 95 Ave. Meanwhile, Holyrood Apartments are eating their lunch. Stay tuned...

Its interesting how some companies can move ahead with projects quite quickly without much delay, back and forth or conflict.

Others can't seem to do anything very well. I feel the former ones are competent and the later ones not.

Back