Strathcona Hotel Restoration | ?m | 3s | Beljan Development | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From yesterday evening.
20210711_212501.jpg

20210711_212430.jpg

Indeed, but code isn't normally applied retroactively, so was curious if they existed before given the recent fire history.
current codes will always be applied to current work. there are some thresholds that provide some nominal exemptions to complete upgrading but those actually get triggered quite quickly and are cumulative so you can't avoid them by breaking the work up into small pieces. as we're talking about fire and life safety we probably don't really want that anyway. :)

existing buildings are typically "grandfathered" in their current condition only (as long as their isn't an imminent structural or life safety or health concern) and for their current use only (i.e. a change of use will typically trigger a full upgrade to current codes).

Rule of thumb here is if you touch the system you upgrade.

Had a school that half had sprinklers, the older section had none. Local authority said we didn't need to add to the system but we updated anyway.

They gutted the building, code required a full sprinklered building. But I seem to recall that there was a sprinkler system in there before.
Thanks. I could have just asked if it was there before in retrospect.

That said, coding requirements and how they apply presently and to past buildings is still good information to get out there. :)

Back