Strathcona Hotel Restoration | ?m | 3s | Beljan Development | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Beljan has bought "the Strat" (or "the Strath" if you were born before ~1975 apparently), plans a bit of a refresh:

the-strat-artists-conception.jpg

(Edmonton Journal)

Paula Simons: Hipster makeover planned for historic Strathcona Hotel
The hotel, the oldest wood-framed commercial building on Whyte Avenue, is being sold to Ivan Beljan of Beljan Development. He takes possession in October.

“We want to remake it into a showpiece of a building,” Beljan told me Friday. “This is a key piece of real estate in the city. This is just the opportunity to really change a whole block.”

The hotel is at no risk of demolition. It has protected heritage status from the city and the province.

Beljan has actually been trying to buy it for years, to add it to his portfolio of Old Strathcona properties. (For tax purposes, the city values the property at just over $2 million. Beljan says he paid a little less than twice that amount.)

He currently owns 10 sites in the Whyte Avenue area, including the old Dominion Hotel building, the Crawford Block, just north across the back lane.

Beljan’s plans for the site aren’t finalized. Because the building has historic designation from two levels of government, he has to get two levels of approval for any renovations that might change its heritage character.

His proposal is to renovate the 48 hotel rooms into 34 separate apartments. Or perhaps 34 boutique hotel rooms — he’s not yet decided. On the main floor, he’s planning several small retail and restaurant bays. And, with the blessing of the city and the province, he wants to bring light into the murky interior by adding a rear solarium where the parking spots and beer cooler are now. It’s part of his continuing mission to transform the back lanes of Old Strathcona into pleasant pedestrian arcades.

https://edmontonjournal.com/busines...akeover-planned-for-historic-strathcona-hotel

Attachments

• the-strat-artists-conception.jpg
    the-strat-artists-conception.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,751
This is a really good opportunity to turn the Strat into something as iconic as The Drake Hotel in Toronto imo. Beljan could nail this one if they do it right, i'm sure they will.

Looking forward to this. Maybe they will buy the used car dealership Atco trailer across the way too.

Reference ID: Job No 304063814-001
Description: To change the Use from Bars and Neighbourhood Pubs to General Retail Stores, Restaurants, Specialty Food Services, Professional, Financial and Office Support Services, Bars and Neighbourhood Pubs, and Personal Service Shops and to construct interior and exterior alterations.
Plan I Blk 68 Lots 1-2
Applicant: HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS
Create Date: 2/1/2019 1:46:47 PM
Neighbourhood: STRATHCONA

I'm in shock... oldest wood frame building on Whyte. 1891 - 2019 it appears.
What the...
I hope nobody was hurt, unlikely as under Reno.
Good on ya Dave for first hand reporting on this travesty.

I was having diner at Have Mercy when the fire fighters pulled us all out. Stood on the sidewalk facing the strat near you Dave and stood there in Shock. :S I hope and pray it can be saved however it did not look good. The water looked overwhelming.

Back