Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Couple of things @bonk: Stantec is still one or two floors behind JW -- it is working on floor 23 whereas JW is on floor 25. The reason that Stantec is taller at this point than JW (by a fair margin) is that the floor-to-floor height of Stantec on standard office floors is much greater than the floor-to-floor height on standard hotel floors (Stantec app. 4 metres; JW app 3 metres). By the time Stantec gets to floor 30 (office floors and the point where transition slab kicks in) and JW to 30 (hotel/condo floors), Stantec will be about 12 metres taller than JW (with the same number of completed floors (JW will have lost its two-floor advantage through the transition slab on its own building). Even if Stantec is slowed by 4 weeks (which I doubt will be the case) it will still be ahead of JW as they both complete and compete with condo floors of equal height. Your third point is wrong -- as I have stated, the rate of height increase is much faster on Stantec (1 meter per floor) than is true for JW. JW's transition floor is 26/27; Stantec's is 30. Gentleman's bet: I believe that JW will never again take the height lead.

I'll take that bet.

It's the rate of building height increase that matters, not the floor height. Floor height alone would only matter if the time per floor was the same.

I have a false memory of reading something like JW's schedule was 6 days per floor, and Stantec's was 8, or something like that. All I can find is this: http://skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/gentlemens-bets.26281/page-2#post-1183460
A little bird from Stantec told me:

6 days per commercial floor
1.5 months for "sky raft" at floor 30
4 days per residential floor
I also thought that JW is scheduled to be completed in the calendar year before Stantec is, but now I see conflicting information about that.

Given this information, I'm no longer sure that JW will be taller than Stantec when the former is completed. I think JW's only chance to retake the lead is during the 6-8 weeks sky raft construction, which I still bet will happen.

Well, 180 days to do 30 more floors on JW at a floor per 6 days. I suspect the schedule quickens for JW on the residential floors too though. Stantec will be about 209 days at 45 for the slab crossover and another 164 for 41 more floors give or take.

The transition for JW is, or has already happened. It doesn't have a thick slab like Stantec.

Assuming JW gets 2-3 more floors before they start on the Stantec crossover, we can assume another 7.5 floors during the 45 days, so it will have about a 9.5 - 10.5 floor lead. I'm too lazy to do the difference math, but I think JW maintains the lead, but just barely by the end, and if it has a quicker residential floor schedule, it should maintain the lead until it tops out. Assuming JW does a quicker schedule after, they will do 11.25 floors during the crossover slab at Stantec and be at about floor 34 at that point.

Last edited:
The big slowdown for Stantec is the thick slab in the middle... big pour and I would have to assume they have to let it set a lot longer too before it supports dead/live loads sufficiently during construction.

OaxgZUN.jpg

Attachments

• OaxgZUN.jpg
    OaxgZUN.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 188
The transition for JW is, or has already happened. It doesn't have a thick slab like Stantec.

Not based on the photos I posted just last week it hasn't. But you are correct, it won't require a transfer slab, just switching out the forms.

@westcoastjos Weird, by my count in the renders, 24 is the top level of the hotel portion, which they're only just pouring 23 or 24 now.

ETA: Rendering I was going by must be old. Looking at the sales model, 23 is indeed the first residential level, and there is much less articulation transition than there was originally, so they may not even need to change forms at all.

Actually, @Daveography I think they are on 25 now. There are substantial design inconsistencies between model and renderings, model and reality, and renderings and reality -- so I don't think we can put much store in either model or renderings. Here are some possibilities: the literature may count the ground floor and the partial floor above as main floor and mezzanine, counting floor 3 as 2. Or the literature might simply be wrong. Or floor 23 might be a residential amenities floor. No way to tell unless someone has an inside source or we wait until the building is complete or at least until the exterior cladding gets to the residential portion. Also there is no need for a transfer slab if the columns for hotel and residences line up as I suspect they do.

Back to Stantec -- I don't believe that the transfer slab will take more than 4 weeks to put in place. Once formed and rebar set in place, concrete will have to be a continuous pour (no joints). Normal cure time is 7 days -- in this case I believe they will allow 21 (max strength approximated at 28 days). A component of the pour will be the base elements of the new column alignment. So there is no logical reason to hold the continued upward climb to more than 21 days. By the time contractors get to Floor 30 on Stantec and probably Floor 32 on JW the height difference between the two building will be 4 office-height floors in favor of Stantec (approximately 6 to 7 residential floors). I don't believe that there is any possible way -- considering that difference -- that JW can retake the height lead over Stantec. I have been wrong before -- let's see what happens this time.

The project will be interconnected through public pedways and ground level walkways with Rogers Place anchoring its North end, and a massive parkade beneath. Its retail component will cater to both locals and visitors alike, and will be opened in two phases.

The first phase of retail offerings, scheduled to open in 2018, will feature 85,000 square feet of retail space. Retail will include a variety of uses, including multiple restaurant options, boasting exceptional exposure to the new Public Plaza as well as adjacent busy streets. A flagship Rexall drugstore will be part of the mix. Much of the new retail in the first phase will be located within Stantec Tower, which will become the tallest building in Western Canada when completed and the location of Edmonton’s highest restaurant.

Located on the second level of the 2-storey retail podium will be a 700 seat, 28,000 square foot Food Hall with 14 unique food vendors. The Food Hall will be open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even late into the evening. Food Hall patrons will have the option of dining in a sun-filled atrium, or outdoors in the second-floor terrace overlooking the bustling Public Plaza. Above the expansive retail space will be 28 floors of office space, and above those, 38 floors of residential with 481 luxury condominium units.
http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/5/ice-district

Click on the Ice District Lease Plans PDF at the bottom of the article and you will get an extremely good idea as to the layout of the entire project, restaurants, movie theatres and all.

Click on the Ice District Lease Plans PDF at the bottom of the article and you will get an extremely good idea as to the layout of the entire project, restaurants, movie theatres and all.
Interesting to see the block H and potential future connection (pedway) to that building on the 2nd page of the Leasing plan. Nothing too much has been said of that lot.

As per GreenSPACE on C2E:

Arena District Local Advisory Committee Meeting last evening. Some updated completion times:

- Stantec Tower - Late 2018
- Stantec Podium - Early 2019

- JW Tower - Early 2019
- Legends Residences - Early 2019
- Allard Parkade - Early 2019
- Greyhound Podium - Mid 2019
- Stantec Tower Residential - Late 2019
- Ice Plaza - Late 2019. Will include public skating rink in winter and performance stage in summer
- Greyhound Tower - Fall 2020
- Baccarat will come down sometime this year.
- 103 Street - parkade will be at grade by November, work to start on street.

Yes, @westcoastjos, I noticed that too. Massing renderings/models that I have seen show a small building (4-6 storeys) there; but, I believe, this is just a place-holder for what might end up being built on this land. It certainly faces the "warehouse" street and is next-door-adjacent to the neon museum so there are some interesting potentials. I suspect KG and ONE are waiting to assess sales/rental potentials for the three towers that they have initiated before broadcasting any new plans. With the numerous amenities across the alley, I expect to see another high-rise tower with a "warehouse" base, in keeping with Fox towers etc. I also expect the podium to be much more architectonic than other already built examples, considering the team that KG and ONE rely on for product.

Back