Southpark on Whyte | 50.9m | 16s | ONE Properties | GBL Architects

What do you think of the design of Southpark?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I like it

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
It's just so disappointing to see something that looked great, and pushed boundaries, turn into a bland 5 storey building that will be the equivalent of a city block on Whyte Ave. This could have been so much more, and was presented as such.

Thanks for the welcome, Daveography. I've been dropping by from time-to-time for awhile, but finally had a reason to post. I really do need to spend more time here.

This feels a lot like a bait and switch... Are they cleared to start construction or does the city have any power to stop this?

The City may not be able to stop the build-out, but they sure have the mechanisms to delay, delay, delay... what a super-bad effort!

I thought the Whyte Ave frontage for this project was always fairly generic as far as low rises go.

Wha- what th-

UGH. How did such a great proposal turn into THIS? This, suburban-looking "modern" block?

Ok, but besides that, they could still do good with this. They just need to use the right materials (old style brick, nice wood) and then it can look good. But this.. is just... wow.

Edit: Ok Now I realize that this in just the Whyte Ave Portion, but still, they could do better in making it fit with the older theme of the area. :(

Last edited:
After closer inspection of the previous renderings, @westcoastjos is right. The form, materials, and street side delineation is pretty close to the original renderings. The originals, however, focus more on the second phase -- the buildings on 81 Ave. and the alley scenes between 81 and 82. Of the two new renderings researched by @BlueFrog (thanks and welcome to the site), the "evening" rendering has more "sex appeal"; the daytime rendering -- although I am sure it is accurate from a detail perspective -- looks washed out and bland. Good eye @westcoastjos for picking out the obscure! The new rendering shows a project ever-so-slightly watered down -- less roof line delineation, reduced vertical elevation of the pop-out on 106th street, less balcony delineation over all -- but pretty close. I guess the developers are thinking lets go from the ugly to the sublime (Phase II).

Last edited:
Reminder: What gets built needs only adhere to the text of the DC2 and any site plans referenced therein. Renders don't mean anything and are subject to change.

The DP has been approved, so I would presume there's no variances from the DC2 text in the plans. The only way anyone could hope to stop it at this point would if they could find variances between the DP submission and the DC2 text, and appeal the DP at SDAB.

So no, it's unlikely anyone is going to delay or stop it at this point, since there would be zero legal basis for it. ("The old renders looked better" is not a legal argument).

Also, did they pull the images from their site? I still see the old site with zero updates since 2017.

They look pretty solid to me. Materials will be a big factor as Dave pointed out. They were never going to be allowed to build anything fully vertical on Whyte Ave as I said previously. Mezzo set the precedent for taller builds in the area, but even it is a block off of Whyte on 81 Ave. Let's hold off too much judgement until we get some updated renders of that phase. The frontage on Whyte Ave still looks like it will activate the street a ton. I remain excited for this project.

Not only did they switch back to the old renders, but One Properties removed the retail brochure from their site showing the new renders; they just have the floor plans available now. Someone has certainly noticed the sentiments on the new renders and they're scrambling.

http://oneproperties.com/southpark-on-whyte-retail/

Here's the brochure that they unlinked from the above URL:
http://oneproperties.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ONE-Southpark-on-Whyte-Brochure-Low-Res.pdf

It was uploaded on September 15th, 2018.

Back