_DSC0747.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 1,140
  • _DSC0751.jpg
    _DSC0751.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,029
  • _DSC0757.jpg
    _DSC0757.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 1,085
Nov. 28 - fencing is mostly down around the south side. A friend of mine who was involved with the project may be able to swing me a bit of a preview inside next year.

_MG_2339.jpg
_MG_2341.jpg
_MG_2346.jpg
_MG_2348.jpg
_MG_2352.jpg
_MG_2358.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_2339.jpg
    _MG_2339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,099
  • _MG_2341.jpg
    _MG_2341.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,017
  • _MG_2346.jpg
    _MG_2346.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 1,564
  • _MG_2348.jpg
    _MG_2348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 998
  • _MG_2352.jpg
    _MG_2352.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 973
  • _MG_2358.jpg
    _MG_2358.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,205
Last edited:
This turned out really well. Great pictures all. It definitely does have an institutionalized look, but I wouldn't say that is a bad thing in this case.

The playful circular forms and the exaggerated cantilevers add enough interest to put this project positively in the plus column.

Paula Simons: Heart of glass: New Royal Alberta Museum aims to be transparent, in more ways than one
Let there be light.

An excellent beginning for a creation story.

The new Royal Alberta Museum is a work in progress. Its exhibit halls are bare, waiting for display cases and exhibits. The new Bug Room is appropriately hot and humid, but devoid of creepy-crawlies. The 250-seat theatre is going through its final sound checks, but no one struts or frets upon its stage. The lobby cafe has its panini press and its latte machine installed, but it will be another eight or nine months before we can pop in for a snack.

When the RAM opens in early 2018, it will be the largest museum in Western Canada — 39,000 square metres, with 7,800 square metres of exhibition space — roughly double what the old museum in Glenora had.

“We have 2.4 million pieces in our collection, and about 90 per cent are moving downtown with us,” says the museum’s executive director, Chris Robinson. “We’ll have 5,300 pieces on display in our opening exhibits.”

executive-director-royal-alberta-museum-chris-robinson-abo.jpeg

Royal Alberta Museum executive director Chris Robinson stands above the entrance to the museum on Friday, April 21, 2017. GREG SOUTHAM / POSTMEDIA
But this empty building is already full — full of light.

Floor to ceiling windows pull the sky and the street straight into the lobby and the great hall, connecting visitors inside the museum to the urban landscape, framing downtown Edmonton and Chinatown from new and unexpected angles.

Where the old museum shyly turned its back to the street, the new building engages and connects with the city. Created by Edmonton architect Donna Clare and Toronto museum designer Michael Lundholm, it’s purpose-built to turn its gaze outward, to the world it curates.

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertai...-aims-to-be-transparent-in-more-ways-than-one

The Friends of Royal Alberta Museum Society (FRAMS) presents an International Museum Day Panel Discussion on The Lowdown on Moving Downtown - Keys to Unlocking the new Royal Alberta Museum.

The panel presentation will take place in the Ledcor Theatre at the Art Gallery of Alberta (our new neighbours).

The panel will profile many perspectives associated with the Royal Alberta Museum moving downtown through the following speakers:
  • Donna Clare, Architect, Dialog
  • Chris Robinson, Executive Director, Royal Alberta Museum
  • Kalen Anderson, Director of Planning Coordination, City of Edmonton
  • Ian O'Donnell, Executive Director, Edmonton Downtown Business Association
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-low...l-alberta-museum-tickets-34166274246?aff=eac2

Was this stealth delayed? I don't recall an announcement but it was originally set to open this year, the site now says opening 2018.

Back