Prairie Sky Gondola | 76.2m | ?s | Prairie Sky | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
There's a survey out currently for the gondola if you want to participate! https://www.prairieskygondola.com/

I was disappointed that transit and car use were the only assumed options in some questions. I think biking, especially when connecting to the river valley should be seen as a more prominent connection. Currently getting from the north side to whyte in the valley is brutal.

I was excited to see an idea for a $50 annual pass for unlimited rides. $8 round trip is the other price mentioned. The 50 dollar one i think is very affordable and would increase people's use and get them to whyte and downtown more. I'm assuming, unlike buses, there's almost no per rider costs to a gondola? The same amount of gondola cars are rotating on the cable no matter if its full or empty? Seems like a smart strategy.
What is their thinking on allowing bikes in the gondola? For many people that would be important. But bikes in a gondola can be an issue - if crowded and the tires are dirty.

I completed the survey. I would buy the $50 pass. I would pay $100 a year for it but was not offered that amount. I would likely use it 2-4 times a month. Without the pass I would pay $4 return maybe 5 but not 6 or 8 as I always travel with partner. We would use it for convenience not as tourists. Las Vegas RTC public transit has fare machines on the strip dispense and advertise tourists passes for using the deuce bus along Las Vegas Boulevard at a tourist rate ... but for residential routes a rate much less that also provides for use on the deuce. But they hide this from tourists. There is no test for "residency" to get the cheaper pass for residential routes ... its just how they market it and you buy these online on the app and your good to go. I think the Gondola could offer "tourist one time return ticket, 2 day pass etc. and possibly have a "connector" pass from ETS - included in ETS monthly pass as a supplement. ETS should be looking at how they can help to make this a viable route - and the gondola is one way to do encourage innovative transit.

Just got this mailer from the Prairie Sky Gondola folks asking people to fill out a survey about the project.
Please answer these survey questions, which are available on our website.

Password is Gondola.

It will take up to 5 minutes of your time and closes on Sun, Sep 12 at 11:59pm.
Full mailer: https://shoutout.wix.com/so/5bNRkwntj

EDIT: So looks like they are trying to get a sense for the price people would be willing to pay. For me personally I probably wouldn't ride it much at all if it was at the $8 or even probably the $6 price point they asked about. $4 isn't too bad, especially for the winter when they wouldn't have to compete with scooters and nicer walking/cycling weather.

Curiously they also asked about a $50 annual pass which is on the opposite side of affordability I think and would be an absolute no brainer to get for me.

Last edited:
Fifty dollars for an annual pass for me and my immediate family for unlimited rides would be a bargain. I think 4-6 CAD is reasonable for individual return trips. This city deserves something like this. What better way to show off it's assets. Don't mess this up CoE like I know you can. :mad:

What's also impressive about this privately funded initiative and venture is how quickly things have progressed given the amount of work required. And we've been in a pandemic!

This was just an idea in fall 2018 and it has moved right along even though still lots to do. Even construction won't take that long once it gets to that stage - 18 months! Compared to the timelines for so many other projects, this is very refreshing. If all goes well, spring 2024 it will be open.

Back