Manchester Square | ?m | 2s | 76 Group Co | Gardner Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
There comes a time when one has to get one’s high horse and give people what they want instead of what you think is good for them. I had reservations about this project when it was first proposed but the level of detail and quality of materials used has elevated it to the point of an example of construction standards that should be emulated throughout the city.
I drove by this development this evening and there were at least a dozen people taking pictures so it is proving to be a catalyst for redevelopment of the whole area which is basically underuntilized industrial land.

Anyone know what this building is advertising their lease rate at?

Personal feelings about the building aside, this group had great success with Holland Plaza because they were able to lease way lower than competing retail space. Not sure if that's the same business plan they have for this project?

If not, and they are trying to charge full market compared to options closer to 124th Street, I can't imagine this ending well for them.

Overall, and this is based on what I've seen when I've travelled versus what I see here, it doesn't seem like we have enough small sized retail spaces. When I see the empty commercial bays in new spaces downtown, they seem quite big - although I noticed an empty 600 sq ft bay next to the former Cacao 70 . That said, I don't know much on this subject so not sure if size is an actual issue.😄

I did notice a lot of the For Lease signs have been removed. Whether they did this to clean the windows or they are leased is hard to say.

Fair. There is a certain amount of hypocrisy driving to a walkable city in "Europe" to take selfies to show how urban you are. I also am not necessarily against the parking lot in this development, but I am not aware of any other recent strip malls attracting wedding photogs...
Its not so bad. For one, it is hard to fly to Europe these days and that probably uses much more fuel than driving across town.

I don't think it has anything to do with it being a strip mall with a parking lot at all - the buildings have character. You don't see hardly any of that in this city and there seems to be in a rush to tear down some of the older ones that remain. You see a lot of wedding pictures at the Leg too.

While Edmonton is copying Oldie-time Amsterdam; Amsterdam itself seems more focused on the future:
Speaking of, what's the latest here on "green" buildings? Rotterdam and Amsterdam are both pushing green roofs and other nature-based approaches to things like rainwater and heat management.
e.g. (Utrecht)

Speaking of, what's the latest here on "green" buildings? Rotterdam and Amsterdam are both pushing green roofs and other nature-based approaches to things like rainwater and heat management.
e.g. (Utrecht)
there is a large segment that considers existing buildings to be the greenest alternatives we have. that’s not to say tings like windows and roofs and mechanical plants can’t be upgraded but even without that it is greener to maintain an existing building than to demolish it and throw away the material it is constructed with and have to replace it all with new materials. as a renovation of an existing building, this project embodies some of that principle.

Reference ID: Job No 383530794-002
Description: Interior Alteration, Change of Use
Plan 9223242 Blk 20 Lot 1
Applicant: URBAN BIRD LTD.
Create Date: 1/12/2021 1:09:40 PM
Neighbourhood: QUEEN MARY PARK

Reference ID: Job No 383530794-002
Description: Interior Alteration, Change of Use
Plan 9223242 Blk 20 Lot 1
Applicant: URBAN BIRD LTD.
Create Date: 1/12/2021 1:09:40 PM
Neighbourhood: QUEEN MARY PARK
@Daveography would this Urban Bird be the Hot Chicken chain, from Nashville?

Back