Law Courts Galleria | ?m | 4s | Province of Alberta | Next Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Didn't the EPS also requested more office space? I suggested this idea in the past on another platform where maybe EPS and the new court share office space in the same tower...
High decision maker of laws are housed together which could potentially.allow for better networking..
If there is to be a tower, it would give it a bit higher tally... A win win.
It's probably not a good idea to provide an avenue for EPS to exert more influence over the judiciary.

As for the mailer posted above, the fear mongering over crime is really taking off. I hope that people are paying attention and following along with the playbook.

The above question was meant to ask BrettB.
It's all a matter of perception. Police enforce the laws, but judges rule if they were right, if their actions were legal, if the investigation was complete. You can't have people perceive police and judges be on the same side or else you undermine confidence in the justice system and have people presume "oh, they're on the same side."

I'm not saying having police and the courts in the same building WOULD make that happen, but in justice, just as in politics, perception is often reality.

From that perspective, how would it be different than now as the court building and police station are only 1/2 block from each other? If their was any sense of deviation, a shared building or not wouldn't stop that process. I am not advocating a judge's office to be next door to a police chief but a mere shared building with different access to their zone. I'm looking at abating any repetitive cost that will ease taxpayers...

Why can't they use the updated term Edmonton Metropolitan Region?
I think it is sort of like a dog whistle thing to their supporters. They believe they won't do well here, but in their minds it is mostly because Edmonton is a left wing city of government employees.

From that perspective, how would it be different than now as the court building and police station are only 1/2 block from each other? If their was any sense of deviation, a shared building or not wouldn't stop that process. I am not advocating a judge's office to be next door to a police chief but a mere shared building with different access to their zone. I'm looking at abating any repetitive cost that will ease taxpayers...
That's not what you said, though. From your post:

High decision maker of laws are housed together which could potentially.allow for better networking..

That networking would be problematic, and it would be more likely if the courts and EPS were housed in the same building. As BrettB said, even if you could adequately segregate the two organizations, the mere perception would heighten mistrust in the justice system.

Yes, but you're the one ASSSUMING of nefarious possibilities. Networking can be be positive as well.

As per the perception, I don't think so as the police station and courthouse are practically next to each other, so shouldn't we worried about them hoping across the street to scheme up hell for us?

Yes, but you're the one ASSSUMING of nefarious possibilities. Networking can be be positive as well.
No I'm not. A conflict of interest is a conflict of interest. In regular corporate dealings, interactions like that would be subject to compliance reporting. In the public realm - especially in the justice system - compliance is far more important. If the conflicts are adequately managed, all you've done is created a massive impediment to productivity with all of the interaction reports that would need to be filed.

Sharing a building with separate entrance is a conflict of interests? We might as well shut down the police and law department now because it could happen, in your view, right now. They're are 1/2 a block from each other.

You're filling your head with ideas that I'm not even suggesting. A same building can have different access to their areas...

You're filling your head with ideas that I'm not even suggesting. A same building can have different access to their areas...
You keep using the word networking. Either you're unclear as to what that means, or you're being a tad dishonest in this discussion. Happy to help with the former, but not interested in continuing with the latter.

Back