What do you think of this project?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
@vandericardo, thanks for sharing that, and well said. I'm going to have to get down there to see it in person. I haven't but only passed by it at 60kmh a few times. Very disappointing if there are so many defects appearing and possible problems down the road...

A few example shots...
IMG_20190907_085105.jpg
IMG_20190907_085306.jpg
72476560-20190704-ik-062-w.jpg

Sadly, I'm thinking the city themselves may have damaged extensive sections of the stainless steel cladding. They may have erected interior shelving, mezzanines, or other fittings that have contributed to the warping damage. I Am surprised that the building turnover and acceptance was allowed to take place without an investigation. When viewed from the Yellowhead it is very visible. If it was a materials supplier or an erection issue during construction, then final building acceptance should never have happened. We need an investigation and explanation from the city....

What we appear to have been given, is a pock-marked, dented, undulating metal building skin, that looks anything like a "landmark or celebration". It is incredible that a just completed city building of this magnitude and cost could already be exhibiting such profound visual defects.
Are we sure there isn't supposed to be variations in the siding panels of this building? It's visually apparent, sure, but does it really look bad? I think it adds visual interest, but that's just me.

Are we sure there isn't supposed to be variations in the siding panels of this building? It's visually apparent, sure, but does it really look bad? I think it adds visual interest, but that's just me.
I don't think so... the divots are random, deep and clearly visible from a distance. A new building of this magnitude and cost would NOT have these defects "designed in". Yes it looks that bad and yes it should be addressed and remedied under the terms of the contract as a construction/design defect. Why the city has not publicly acknowledged this problem is a real mystery. Would you accept irregular ripples, waves and indents in your brand new home?

Well, random and irregular dents they may be. Either way, the city should at least acknowledge the problem as you say, whether intentional or otherwise.

Incidentally, I love the way this siding captures ambient light, especially at twilight. It's turned my head more than a few times already. Somehow it distorts the light and enhances the colours to beautiful effect.

Back