ICE District Block IJ | ?m | ?s | ICE District Prop. | Next Architecture

I think Stantec is a fair bit larger than PCL (22,000 vs ~14,400 employees)

Mind you those numbers are global, not sure what their local numbers are.
I just went by revenue, according to On-Site, PCL reported approx. 8.4b in revenue for 2019 (source). Per Stantec's financials, they had 4.8b in revenue for 2019. Of course, hard to exactly compare given one is a publicly traded engineering+consulting firm and the other is a privately held GC. Employee wise Stantec is for sure larger, especially given how much work of PCL's work is done through subs.

And Mr Cantor, again nothing against PCL, I don't blame them for having their own campus--just pointing out that the arguably largest company here chose not to be downtown--and of course their reason for that would be based on what makes sense for their operations, extending to my point about Edmonton's work force not being very centralized compared to a lot of other comparably sized cities.

I don't know that single family house prices in Edmonton are priced really low or it's more of an issue that new condos downtown are priced really high. And if it's because of the cost of downtown land, I don't understand why downtown land is priced so high. Is it in high demand? Is it taxed too high? There are so many for lease retail spaces (I mean before covid) as well. I get the feeling downtown lease rates are high and yet more businesses would rather set up shop somewhere else anyway where people happily drive.
I would love more people downtown! And more businesses downtown. Is the only answer to make home prices outside downtown more expensive?
I always thought that a main reason why these downtown condos were so much is the construction costs were so high due to the oil patch shooting up the demand and cost for skilled workers and equipment rather than land prices, but in the last ~3 years that hasn't made much sense.

Couldn't agree more with that assessment by the committee. I guess a dog park in that location is better than nothing but, the sun almost never hits that street and I imagine it'd be pretty cold and uncomfortable to be there on a lot of days. I just hope they can get this tower built in the next few years in some form, because that street can feel so weird and incomplete at times.

Description: To construct and operate a Public Park (outdoor fenced dog park) on the southwest portion of the Site for up to 5 years.
Permit date: February 10, 2021
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 10104 - 104 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: AED

Couldn't agree more with that assessment by the committee. I guess a dog park in that location is better than nothing but, the sun almost never hits that street and I imagine it'd be pretty cold and uncomfortable to be there on a lot of days. I just hope they can get this tower built in the next few years in some form, because that street can feel so weird and incomplete at times.
Actually that corner gets more sunlight that you'd think. I can see a portion of it from my office.

Agreed. That said, here are one's options tegstdlesd.
A) park
B) No park and as is.
C) You bring in a corporate for a fantasy tower
D) All Of The Above

Please do not shade the answer outside of the circle.

Description: To construct and operate a Public Park (outdoor fenced dog park) on the southwest portion of the Site for up to 5 years.
Permit date: February 10, 2021
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 10104 - 104 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: AED

nmAxvLY.png

Back