Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Are you kidding me, @Grandinite, 42 storeys of blah -- I thought the Ice District was supposed to usher in a new era in Edmonton architecture. Instead, we have the banal attempt at "good enough for Edmonton" -- zap me with a time machine that takes me to the day this bland hypocrisy meets the demolition charge.

Are you kidding me, @Grandinite, 42 storeys of blah -- I thought the Ice District was supposed to usher in a new era in Edmonton architecture. Instead, we have the banal attempt at "good enough for Edmonton" -- zap me with a time machine that takes me to the day this bland hypocrisy meets the demolition charge.

This tower is a missed opportunity for sure, especially when compared to what's going up around it. I think it could have more glass and less panelling, could also be much slimmer and less blocky, and I wish the balconies were more indented instead of just tacked on, but the podium looks better, especially on the tower portion. Do I wish this was a glossy, shiny statement tower like Stantec & JW Marriot? yes, but I think it could've been much worse, and although it's not what it could've been, this isn't the worst proposal we've seen in recent years.

Last edited:
Same design from #354 including the podium, which was fine at that time and when Dave posted the same thing with Loblaws branding. Podium design looks like it has been the same for a while. I don't get the hold up.

Tower looks like garbage just as it did when it was originally posted. I hope they don't build that tower - it really couldn't be much worse.

Latest renderings. Grabbed these from C2E. Doesn't look too bad considering these are suppose to be rentals. The podium look improved over the last renderings. At this point I just want them to build something, anything here.View attachment 207496View attachment 207497View attachment 207498View attachment 207499

It doesn’t look bad but the podium rooftop space could be better utilized in my opinion. Perhaps the 3rd floor should have been commercial allowing for restaurants and such to create a hybridized patio space with a small garden, rock scaping, and general place to hangout. I know they’re cost saving measures, but even to employ a design that allows for future improvements would be wise.

You know, if this structure was in some other part of the City, it would be more passable from a design perspective, but next to the arena and the Marriott/condo it is so disjointed as to degrade the entire plaza area -- there is no getting around it. Might I suggest that, if this is the ONE that is going to get built, it ought to be enclosed by a super-large paper bag. Sad -- because good design doesn't have to be outrageously expensive; it just has to be mastered by individual talent (sorely lacking here).

Le sigh. At least the podium is decent...
Hey @Swore, long time no see. How has BC been treating you? Hope you venture back to the big city for a tour one of these days and post some pic's!
I really am having a hard time understanding One Properties overall plan to complete phase one of ID. Very disappointing. Podium is 'decent' and just needs to get built. Hopefully another redesign for the tower and that it happens this lifetime...

Keep in mind per the news release the new tenants are calling for a third floor and rooftop patio, so we will probably see these areas re-activated and developed on the next rendering.

Back