Falcon Towers | 170m | 44s | Langham Developments | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I would personally never buy a condo in a building with a pool due to maintenance costs. I almost feel the same way about underground parkades, except most people get more value from that, so the expense is more justified
Underground parkades are much less maintenance than pools and, as you mentioned, add A LOT of value, especially in a climate like ours. I, for once, would not rent (or purchase a condo) without underground parkades, and pretty much everyone I know feels the same. One of the best things about condo/apartment living is the convenience, which includes not having to deal with removing snow from driveways and cars in the winter, having your vehicle ready and warm(ish) any time you need to go out, being protected from the elements when you are bringing stuff in and out (think groceries, luggage, etc...). Not to mention the added safety, especially in Downtown.

^underground is definitely lower maintenance (lower risk rapid deterioration and massive repair bills) than above-ground parkades. The number of absolutely ROTTEN above-grade parkades in Oliver is shocking; once you start looking for them they're everywhere. the exposure of the structure to the wet, the cold, and the salt for decades is brutal. add in that they often aren't very well detailed, some of them are precast (and rely on point connections that can collect water and rust), and are never as well-maintained as the building itself? oof. there's a complex by Mckay Ave School that is taking a level off its parkade right now; i speculate that we'll see more of that in the next 5-10 years as these things finally give up the ghost.
I think it's a bit of a moot point a lot of the time, so many of these DT buildings are overparked. only about 50% of Oliver commutes by car (according to 2016 and 2021 censuses) and more anecdotally, looking at all the buildings in the area, their parking lots, usually 1:1 stalls to units, if not below, are only 2/3 full. why drive to get groceries when the store is a 10 minute walk away? It's how a lot of us live in that area. I think (HOPE!) as these parkades fail they won't get replaced. we can use the space for other things. i know my building could lose a level off it's parkade and not be stressed (literally, i counted stalls, cars, and did the math lol)

I walk and ride my bike around but I still want underground,. secure parking for my car. my building doesn't have enough underground stalls to meet the demand. there's additional parking outside but most neighbors don't like those because of the weather and back lane hooligans.

^underground is definitely lower maintenance (lower risk rapid deterioration and massive repair bills) than above-ground parkades. The number of absolutely ROTTEN above-grade parkades in Oliver is shocking; once you start looking for them they're everywhere. the exposure of the structure to the wet, the cold, and the salt for decades is brutal. add in that they often aren't very well detailed, some of them are precast (and rely on point connections that can collect water and rust), and are never as well-maintained as the building itself? oof. there's a complex by Mckay Ave School that is taking a level off its parkade right now; i speculate that we'll see more of that in the next 5-10 years as these things finally give up the ghost.
I think it's a bit of a moot point a lot of the time, so many of these DT buildings are overparked. only about 50% of Oliver commutes by car (according to 2016 and 2021 censuses) and more anecdotally, looking at all the buildings in the area, their parking lots, usually 1:1 stalls to units, if not below, are only 2/3 full. why drive to get groceries when the store is a 10 minute walk away? It's how a lot of us live in that area. I think (HOPE!) as these parkades fail they won't get replaced. we can use the space for other things. i know my building could lose a level off it's parkade and not be stressed (literally, i counted stalls, cars, and did the math lol)
This and man o man the tip of the iceberg for what many towers and owners will be facing going forward.

20230419_133920_HDR.jpg

I walk and ride my bike around but I still want underground,. secure parking for my car. my building doesn't have enough underground stalls to meet the demand. there's additional parking outside but most neighbors don't like those because of the weather and back lane hooligans.
I'm not in Oliver, but in a central area, likewise I walk and use transit a lot. However, it is still good to have a vehicle for some trips. For instance, no IKEA (or really many such similar things) downtown.

If there was no parkade spot available the next option would be to try park on the street, which is quite limited in many such areas and I am sure neighbours and visitors would really not like all the spots being taken up like that.

I love seeing this lot getting filled in and transforming it as Icon did for 104st north of Jasper; I honestly didn't expect to see this site developed in my lifetime.

SOJA needs 3-4 projects between 102-106st and some CRUs for those who live on the hillside.

Back