Encore Tower | 138m | 43s | Westrich Pacific | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Are they baseboard radiant or forced air/HP?

PEX or copper?
Probably Pex. Have done my fare share of damage reviews were PEX is involved. If its left out in the sun or installed in to cold ambient temp can all lead to failure. Had on in town that had Aquatherm piping. The damage was done at installation but was not felt for 2 years. The pipe was not kept warm and when they cut it the created micro cracks in the line. They just have to read the service bulletins to know.

I know there is allowances for using PEX or similar to connect Reheat coils and Radiant panels, but I'm fighting that and insisting on braided connection.

This is why I don't want to own a condo lol.
Plumbing problems can happen in SFH or non high rise buildings too. Its unfortunate, if such a new building has had a lot of problems already.

It makes me wonder about the workmanship or the materials used now. It seems to be a bit more of an issue these days than in the past.

Plumbing problems can happen in SFH or non high rise buildings too. Its unfortunate, if such a new building has had a lot of problems already.

It makes me wonder about the workmanship or the materials used now. It seems to be a bit more of an issue these days than in the past.
Sure but if it's a condo wide issue, you aren't being asked to pay, say, $25k to do the fix. You'll have to pay for it on your house too obviously but I don't think it would be a $25k fix.

I'm with @Avenuer . I had no interest in owning a condo for that very reason (special assessments).

I am unsure if the floods were due to failure or owner negligence. The basement flood was due to the large rain event we had this summer which affected many buildings Downtown.
From the work I have done on Damage assessment in Condos. Don't expect a quick resolution. It was 5 years after one failure that the Lawyers finally called me and asked what I found. Good thing I don't assign blame just state the facts. The last one was in an older building that was converted from Apartments to Condos. There was a heating system failure one Christmas that ended up cascading into about 12 frozen pipe breaches. They shut the system down to fix one problem but as they did that more lines froze. As the brought the system back up they started getting more breaks which prompted more shut downs and then more frozen pipes. What should have happened was when they did boiler upgrades a year before, they should have installed zone isolation so they did not have to shut the whole system down. The frozen pipes would then be isolated to one floor. Insurance did pay out but they wanted to recover the money. I don't think the court case went very far.

Its not the consultants that get dinged on these failures, even though they get dragged in to the court case, it eventually is the contractors. Since they do the install. Consultants cannot be blamed unless they are to be determined t by deficient in the design. Consultants to not "Inspect" protects they "Review progress". Liability is still the contractors issues since they must follow product installation guidelines. I know the Ipex story but there was also a 10 million dollar law suite for the flex connections to toilets failing. The white plastic connection failed. The ones with Grey plastic were better.

Had lunch with a homebuilder last week that told me their same 2200sqft model is now $270,000 more in suburb Calgary compared to suburb Edmonton. He thinks the delta will grow above $300,000.

Don't think we will see a real estate boom as large as 2023 Calgary, but there is no doubt that the price per door difference between the two is going to push a lot of purpose built rental investment up the road.

I still think a lot of the retail buyers coming from BC/Ontario/International will prefer paying the premium to stay around Calgary given the proximity to mountains, more established downtown, more flight options from YYC

Back