Emerald Tower | 153.61m | 45s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Everyone here has a valid reason to be mad about the maintenance of the vacant sites. You can’t be mad at them for not building multimillion dollar towers in the sky while you sit at home and get your daily cardio through your fingers. Sucks when buildings don’t go up right away but it should also be understandable and respected. I don’t have much respect for regency after the BMO site bullshit but I’m not gonna act like they didn’t just top off their tower a few months back. Give them time it doesn’t take a genius to realise they are selling their other properties to generate capital for this one.

If they bit of more than they can chew and promised more than they are delivering that would seem to be a problem of their own making.

The prominence of these sites, the length of time and that it is more than one also leads to feeling they are bungling things.

If they bit of more than they can chew and promised more than they are delivering that would seem to be a problem of their own making.

The prominence of these sites, the length of time and that it is more than one also leads to feeling they are bungling things.
To my understanding they are given a set amount of time to build and the only thing they promise is to build in that time. As far as I know they promised to build in a certain amount of time and that time hasn’t run out yet. So I absolutely can’t make the assumption that they felt short of their promise. Now as far as the bmo site goes, that’s just part of the development business. No matter how good of a property not everything works out in your favour and I’m glad they are selling it. I also wanna acknowledge that they handled the property like a bunch of imbeciles.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my understanding they are given a set amount of time to build and the only thing they promise is to build in that time. Now if they bit off more than they could chew then yes you are right, they fucked themselves. Who are you to decide where they fall on the spectrum of how much they can afford to chew? You do their books for them? Because to my understanding no one knows wtf is going on and that’s completely fine so long as you stay in ur lane. Curiosity is a good thing and for that I say ask questions. It’s one thing to ask but it’s another to make assumptions. As far as I know they promised to build in a certain amount of time and that time hasn’t run out yet. So I absolutely can’t make the assumption that they felt short of their promise. Now as far as the bmo site goes, that’s just part of the development business. No matter how good of a property not everything works out in your favour and I’m glad they are selling it. I also wanna acknowledge that they handled the property like a bunch of imbeciles.
I'd counter this by saying that we're all stakeholders in the city, and financially vested to boot. These aren't lots in a far flung industrial zone. They are prominent locations that have an impact on the attractiveness of our city, both from the insider and outsider's perspective. The go-to excuse is "if you don't like it, build a tower yourself", which is simply ridiculous. City administration has to shoulder a lot of the blame here for letting speculators horde prominent lots, but since that's a done deal, Edmontonians are certainly free to pressure developers to show a bit more respect to the communities in which they operate.

Yes, we are affected by this and so entitled to have opinions, regardless whether we are little people or owners of such companies.

We may not understand all of this company's particular problems or the ins and outs of their business, but I feel I am bright enough to see a company bungling a lot of things, as opposed to the ones doing things well.

I’m not telling y’all to not point out bad things corporation’s are doing. I’d say that’s absolutely our role as citizens. Which is what I did in my message. Pointing out faults and mistakes is justified and valid. Being upset a project isn’t getting built quick enough is a sense of entitlement we don’t deserve to have.

Yes you do. I was addressing people mad a tower wasn’t up. I wasn’t addressing any complaints about looks for towers. It’s pretty obvious that the citizens of the city would have a right to be mad about “booger” looking buildings sprouting up.

That is why I agree whole heartedly with you. There was another commentary on the Aldritt's tower where it was selfishly addressed then basically wished it ill health of success. If you look up narcissist, it definitely fits the comment. I personally believe that is outright wrong to be... It is ok to be slightly disheartening, but be fair and wish them positivity. That tower would cost in the range of 400 million- maybe Ken/Chris can exert their expertises in the nominal numbers- so who has 400 million to toss out for someone's obsessive desire? I don't want to appear aggressive or admonished that person, but reality still has to be realized.
EVEN BILLIONAIRE KATZ WOULD TAKE IT WITH CAUTION LET ALONE THE ALDRITT'S - and no disrespect intended towards them.

Reactions: God
Citizens can also be righteously upset over wasted civic assets. But I suppose people are within their rights to stand up for a corporation's ability to maintain a dead zone on a city's main street for years with no time-based plan to address it.

Back